Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Excel - Displaying JPEG/GIF image on certain criteria 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

beanxx

Technical User
Jul 9, 2002
GB
Hi,

Not sure if this is simple or requires complicated VB code, but what I am wanting to do is display an up pointing arrow image if a number value is above a certain level and a down pointing arrow image if a number is below a certain level?

Thanks,

Justin

A really easy was to do this is to have this formula:

=IF(A4>B4,CHAR(225),CHAR(226))

and format the cell as font Wingdings.

Replace A4 and B4 with the cell references of the numbers you want to compare.

Cheers, Glenn.

Glen - you keep coming up with these beautiful little snippets - shiny pointy thing to you

Rgds, Geoff
[blue]Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes![/blue]
Want the [red]best[/red] answers to your questions ? faq222-2244

Glenn,

Very clever and simple to implement - works a treat without having to revert to graphics. Star duly awarded! Further to this it would be nice to chage the colour of the arrow character to green if it was up pointing (Char 255) and Reds if it were down pointing (Char 226). Can Excel handle this type of conditional formatting easily?

Thanks,

Justin

Oooh, I do like those shiny pointy things.

[smile]

Cheers, Glenn.

Yes, conditional formatting works for this.

Do menu command Format/Conditional Formatting, and choose "Cell Value Is" "Equal To" in the drop downs, and type =CHAR(226) for the value, press the Format button and choose a font colour of Red.

Simply add another condition for a Cell Value Is/Equal To/=CHAR(225) for a format of font colour Green, and you're done.

There, easy as that.

Cheers, Glenn.

Glenn,

Works fine, I didn't appreciate that you could enter CHAR(225) and CHAR(226)as specific values. Strictly speaking another start type thing is due since this answers an additional query...so here you go!

Thanks again,

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back