Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Excel count days less list of named dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allilue

Technical User
Sep 14, 2000
GB
Hi!
sorry, i saw some old posts on this topic but i cant seem to figure out how to do still...

i'm doing a 'simple' excel file where i have date ranges. so for example, Summer Term runs from May 1 to August 31. I have a formula where I can count the days of the week within this date range. I also have a list of dates where I want deducted from the days. so if I have 35 MONDAYS in the Summer Term, then from the list of dates to exclude, I want to be able to count the MONDAYS from the list.

I'm not doing any code or anything...just formulas.

i hope this is an easy one...! :)

Thanks,

I'm not exactly following what you're asking.

You can use the NETWORKDAYS function to find the number of workdays between 2 dates and it can subtract holidays or other specified days within the range. (e.g., if your dates for Start Date = cell B3; End Date = cell B4; and Holiday Dates or other Exclusion dates in Range D3:D4, the command would be
= NETWORKDAYS(B3,B4,D3:D4)

Also, there's an error on the maximum number of Mondays. There's a maximum of 18 Mondays (17 full weeks) between 5/1& 8/31; not 35.

If it's a homework assignment, Allilue has been a student for a long time, having joined Tek-Tips in September 2000. It sounds to me more like the sort of problem a teacher might have, trying to schedule classes.

Fair enough. In that case:

* I made a new structured table (from Insert->Table) in A through J. Column Names are:
Semester, start, end, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
Under Semester I put Summer 2012. Under start, the start date. Under end the end date.

I made a structured table in column M (from Insert->Table) and named it Holidays with a column called List
I put a few random dates in there, including some inside and some outside of your range.

In the Semester table, under Sunday, I have this formula, which I then copied through to H2:
[tt]
=SUMPRODUCT(--(TEXT([@start]-1+ROW(OFFSET($B$1,0,0,[@end]-[@start],1)),"dddd")=D$1))-SUMPRODUCT((Holidays
  • >=[@start])*(Holidays
    • <=[@end])*(TEXT(Holidays
      • ,"dddd")=D$1))
        [/tt]

* Note: I probably should have asked which version of Excel you have before starting on this. Oh well. This solution works in Excel 2010. If you have a different version let me know.

Also, the file is attached, I guess? This new posting format is interesting...

http://www.vertexvortex.com/tektips/Workdays-Weekdays.xlsx
If you download the file, you can see that you can add more semesters easily. It just needs a new start date and end date. I would highly recommend giving your semesters different names, but the formula doesn't require it.

I think I understand the problem a little better.

Everything can be done in one formula, but it can get big depending on how many exclusion days you have:

Start Date: E4
End Date: E5
Days to omit: F1:F5
Day of the week to omit: Monday (WEEKDAY CODE 1)
Code:
=+INT((E5-E4)/7)+IF(E18>=WEEKDAY(E5),1,0)-IF(WEEKDAY(F1)=1,1,0)-IF(WEEKDAY(F2)=1,1,0)-IF(WEEKDAY(F3)=1,1,0)-IF(WEEKDAY(F4)=1,1,0)-IF(WEEKDAY(F5)=1,1,0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back