Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ms-dos version number

Status
Not open for further replies.

john2thompson

Programmer
Dec 2, 2003
GB
Hello,

I was wondering if any of you could help me with a problem I am having. It sounds like such a simple problem, but I have searched MS and here at TekTips to no avail.

Is there a command in dos that will return details of the dos version that is currently installed?
I am sure there must be a way of finding this out, but cant find it!

Thanks in advance for any help.

cheers,
John

'MS-DOS' is not recognized as an internal or external commant, operable program or batch file."

Any suggestions?

cheers,

Returns:
"Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]"

So is there a way of finding the underlying version number? or is this it?

BTW, the reason this is on a Windows 95/98 forum is because some clients are on Win98.

cheers,
John

And there is no 'DOS' in Win2000/WinXP like there is in Win95/98. As mentioned it is an emulation. The DOS version in Win95/98 has been referred to as 7 by some people but MS never did that I know of. Win95 was the beginning of the move away from a separate Disk Operating System and FAT16.

excellent, cheers to everyone for all your help on this matter.

Regards,
John

If you look at the properties of a file in Win98/95 or in the registry you can find file properties have a 7.XX.XX in them. Which usually is 7 and the iteration numbers follow the version of Win (whether OS2 or SE etc) if they have been updated - try command.com properties and see what it returns. Not at own PC right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back