Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick964uk

Technical User
Jul 22, 2002
GB
Hi,

I am a hpux certified sys admin but I have done quite a lot of windows work over the past few years.

I want to acquire a basic certfication with Microsoft as a sys admin.

What would someone recommend. Any courses or SBT.

thanks
Mike

Hi,

I just want to do the MCP intially but I cant find the exam code for a MCP.

thanks
Mike

maverick964uk,

Passing any single exam in the MCSA/MCSE track will earn you MCP status. If this is your goal, I suggest taking either 70-210 (Windows 2000 Professional) or 70-270 (Windows XP Professional). These are easier to pass than any of the server-oriented exams.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, MCSA 2003 certified

many thanks!.

Is there a win 2003 exam similar to the XP and 2000 one?.

maverick964uk,

If by that question you mean "Is there a Windows Server 2003 Client exam similar to the XP and 2000 one?", there isn't.

Clients computers in a Windows Server 2003 network would be Windows XP Professional or Windows 2000 Professional (or older versions of Windows).

I don't believe that Microsoft offers MCP exams focused on older client operating systems.

Wishdiak

Hi,

I am going to do the win200 pro exam.
Any recommendations for a bit of studying? test exam?

thanks
Mike

maverick964uk,

For the client OS, I took 70-270 (Windows XP Professional) and found the MS Press book and CD sufficient to pass the first time. I would expect the same for 70-210 (Windows 2000 Professional).

Wishdiak

Make sure you have a good knowledge of the server side of things as well before you sit a client exam, a lot of what most people consider server questions appear on the client exams. RIS is also tested heavily in both Win 2000 Pro and XP exams.

maverick964uk,

Since I agree with NickFerrar, I just figured I'd add one thing.

Whether you take the Windows XP Professional of Windows 2000 Profesional exam, both will focus entirely on using the OS on client machines on a network.

You won't see any questions that stipulate that the Windows XP or Windows 2000 computers are stand-alone.

Wishdiak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back