Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS C++ vs. MS Visual C++

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qshake

Oct 4, 2000
US
I am a novice to any programming software beyond FORTRAN and BASIC.

I am a Eng-Tips.com user and thought this post was more appropriate at this location.

I have recently found that I can program FEA using C++. However, as I cruise the web to learn more about acquiring C++ I am inundated with Visual C++. What I can't find is the difference between the C++ and Visual C++. Would someone please explain in simple terms examples what the difference, if any, is.

Thanks,

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]

How about:

C++ is the generic language.

Visual C++ is the M$ take on C++ optimized(?) for writing Windoze programs.

And then again, someone once said that C++ is to C as lung cancer is to lung.

But I couldn't possibly comment.

rgds
Zeit.

You will find the syntax behind VC++ and C++ similar. The major difference is the fact that when someone is talking about VC++ you know that they are a Windows programmer. However, if you know just plain old C++, you will know VC++, except you will end up learning some win32 functions or what not because of the fact that VC++ is used in windows programming.

Be warned, such is not the case between Basic and Visual Basic! They are very different in syntax from what I have heard. VB is actually OO while normal basic is not.

-Bones

Thanks!

I could understand each comment. And, since I actually began learing BASIC in high school, I do, in fact, know that BASIC and visualbasic are quite different. Rack one up for the old guys.

How about another question. How much would you pay for either program and where are the best software deals found?

Thanks.
Qshake
[pipe]

M$ VC++ comes in a miriad of flavours and price points.

Standard Edition.

Professional Edition.

Enterprise Edition (for starship captains only).

SE is cheap, but doesn't do a lot.

PE is moderately expensive and does more.

EE is very expensive and you'd have to have a really good reason to shell out that sort of money.

As to where to buy it from, that depends where you live.

I bought one off ebay for £15 (but that was because it was advertised in an odd way).

rgds
Zeit.

I got VC++ .NET at Comp USA for just over 100$. (American dollers lol) You might be able to find a good deal on Ebay if you don't mind having it used. I think Visual Studio runs over 600$ but am not sure. Check out for more info on their products.

-Bones

If you don't need VC++ specifically, there are many good, free C++ compilers around.

I remember one called Bloodshed for Windows.

If you have access to a Unix machine, go for gcc.

True, but if you are going to do any large amount of windows C++ programming the latest MSVC++ is probably the best out there. (it has some really cool features) However, if you just want to make simple console programs the free ones will be adequate.

-Bones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back