Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

anastasia

Programmer
Dec 13, 2000
GB
Hi,

I created an Agent using the Microsoft Character Editor and have a agent.acs character on the C drive in Windows.MsAgent/Chars folder.

The Agent works fine on my machine within a VB application I have created.

I was wondering however if I can run my application that contains the agent on another machine that does not have MS Agent installed etc.

Is it just a matter of creating a exe file and will this then run on a machine without MS Agent, or does the other machine have to have MS Agent installed and the agent.acs character copied into the CHARS folder?.

>>Is it just a matter of creating a exe file and will this then run on a machine without MS Agent, or does the other machine have to have MS Agent installed and the agent.acs character copied into the CHARS folder?.<<

A little of both.
Agent is already part of 2000 and XP, so does not need to be installed - your exe should just work.
However, Agent does need to be installed on Me (I think), 98, and 95
The installables are available on the Microsoft web site, and are freely available if you just link to them.

If you want to redistribute the installables, you need to sign a licencing agreement with Microsoft. (Its free..)

The version you can distribute is an older one than on XP and 2000, and will generate an error message if you try to install it.

My suggestion is that you go to Microsoft website and type Agent in the search.

On the other hand, I too have had a application with the MSAgent. Whatever you installed to run the MSAgent, you'd need to add this to your application setup program so that it installs on the users machine.

You will find all the needed files to do so in
Be sure to put them safe into another folder just for the user, so when you create your setup application you simply include that folder into your setup.

Also, include a message for the user where to find the exe files so they themselves can install them without you having the trouble, but if you want to go that extra mile, you'd need to create some sort of installation for those files.

Hope this helped.

I will be copying my program onto floppy disks and giving them to others who then have to run the program from the disk. I was hoping that the exe file was all that I need on disk ( I will try it out).

So then you must have created your app' using all API.

Good Luck!

Don't forget that windows XP home/pro use [bold]SPCHAPI v5.0. [/bold] If you developed it (the prog) on < = Win2k then it is utilizing [bold]SPCHAPI v4.0.[/bold]

What this means is that when the app is run on WinXP machines the Agent will not be able to SPEAK. As in, lips and word balloons but not speech.

Just a little info i ran across with my app.

Good luck
-Stew

LoL Concepts®

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back