Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Active Sync Problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellmoon

Technical User
Dec 6, 2006
GB
Hi,

I have AVG 7.5 and since installing have been unable to connect/sync my windows mobile device. I know AVG is the problem because if I quit the control centre and stopp all avg*** services I can then connect.

I have specifically allowed all active sync applications in the firewall applications list but this has not helped.

I think I need to open port 990 but I dont know how to enable specific ports, any ideas??

Found this on another site, so I can't take credit for it...

Step 1:
Once in Firewall configuration goto [System] tab. Click on [Services..]. Click on [Add Item]. Call it ActiveSyncSrv

Enter the following Service Items:

Direction | Protocol | Local Ports | Remote Ports
In ______ TCP ____ 990 ______ all ports
In ______ TCP ____ 999 ______ all ports
In ______ TCP ____ 5678 _____ all ports
In ______ TCP ____ 5679 _____ all ports
In ______ TCP ____ 5721 _____ all ports
In ______ TCP ____ 26675 ____ all ports
In ______ TCP ____ 990 ______ all ports
In ______ UDP ____ all ports ___ 5679

Click [OK].

Step 2:
While still Under [System] tab click [Add Rule].
Call it ActiveSync, Click [Create Rule], add the ActiveSyncSrv under Available Services (which u just made above) to Applied Services with the Action set to ALLOW.
Click [OK]. Click [OK] again. pause.... Click [Apply].

Step 3: ....Getting Dizzy yet?
Goto [Applications] tab. Click [Add Application]. Click on [...] button. Navigate to:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\rapimgr.exe
Make sure Action is set to ALLOW . Click [OK]. pause.... Click [Apply].

Do the same steps for the following programs:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\CEAPPMGR.EXE

Just to be thorough there is another way to do this, slightly more automated but it erases any manual changes you have made before trying it.

Thanks for the info. I have a different problem at the moment which is also preventing me from using active sync (I had linux on a seperate partition and I screwed up repairng the MBR, had to reinstall the core windows files and somehow removed my USB2 drivers), but as soon as I get that fixed I'll try the above

Cheers :D

Thanks for the info - great post - it worked fine with my AVG 7.5 and ActiveSync v4.2. Just some(hopefully helpful) tips.

In "Step 1"
"Services..." only appears when you click on the button "Show Details"

In "Step 2"
Settings for port 990 has been duplicated - is this a duplication or should be something else (I'm not sure).

And in "Step 3"
Check the list as some applications may already have been added, and you can't add them again.

Many thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back