Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access User Level Security Not Available in Access 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMoore12

Technical User
Oct 6, 2004
US
Greetings,
I have read many articles about user-level security no longer being supported in Access 2010. These same articles state that as long as I don't change the file format of my existing database from .mdb to a newer version that I should still be able to update the security information by using the Database Tools - Administer option on the menu. I have not upgraded my database to use the newer formats and I do not see any menu options for user-level security available to me in Access 2010. Has anyone else ran into this same problem? Or if someone has any ideas on how to solve it that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

EMoore

The piece you have not run accross is that you have to use an earlier version of access to develop the database including setting the security (Access 2003 or earlier I believe).

Microsoft is making this very difficult. I would not be surprised if they quit supporting security in the next version.

An alternative would be to use SQL Server possibly the free Express edition as an alternative to secure your data.

Thanks for the response. The databases were originally created in Access 2003. I had no trouble when my company switched to Access 2007. All the objects are still secure, but I can't change any permissions or add new users.

Thanks.

Like I said you need an install of Access 2003... Since office versions do not coexist well (uninstalling and reinstalling everytime you switch versions), I would ask your IT team to look into putting Access 2003 on a Virtual Machine or separate computer. -- Unless you only need to change security this one time... Keep in mind your machine will eventually be upgraded and IT will get rid of the Office 2003 install discs.

I found it. If you click on the Home tab on the ribbon, the option is available for the user level security.

Interesting. I thought I had read differently... Must be you have to have an earlier version to maintenance the Groups and users.

Also since the ribbon changes, can you be more specific about what object you have open (what view if relevant) and what ribbon group (in Form view I see views, clipboard, Sort & Filter, Records, Find, Text Formatting) it appears in so this is a solution for everyone.

Thanks.

I actually found it on the File tab on the ribbon and not the Home tab as I mentioned previously. I am provided with three options on the Home tab: Compact & Repair, Manage Users & Permissions, and Set Database Password. Manage Users & Permissions gives you the access to the User-Level Security Wizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back