Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access Updater thing? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2000
GB
Hi, I've got several people all over the place using an MS Access database. Anyway they're not used to MS access and I want to distribute updates to them e.g. new queries, updated report designs etc etc. Whats the best way to distribute these to them??

I was thingking of creating a new database that I could put the new queries / reports (whatever) in then they'd open it, specify the path to their database and it would delete any queries in the older version and update it with the new stuff.

Unfortunately there's no chance of me doing it from a central place for them.

Anyone got a better way of doing this??

Cheers

You need to split the database into a front-end (forms, queries, macros, reports, modules) and a back-end (tables). You will distribute updated copies of the front-end and the back-end will remain the same. Read Allanon's recommended post, and research others like it that discuss database splitting. This forum is ripe with info on the subject. Also, I recently began using a freeware product by Tony Toews called AutoFEUpdater. I absolutely love it, although his instructions are geared for the experienced programmer. You will find all the info you need on this forum...if the search engine is working...

Good luck.

Jay

Cheers for the responses. The database is already in a front/back end format. I can't go re-distributing the front or backend when i need to update them because Tthe backends all have a lot of data in that is different for each site and it seems a shame to have to send a complete new backend or frontend when only a couple of queries have been changed.

I need a way of creating some database / executable that a user can download and then run locally on their PC that will change the databases users have on their sites as need be e.g. with a revised query or report design. An updater program kinda I guess

Re-distributing the revised front or back end isn't an option unfortunately...

Hi

We seem to be a cross purposes here

One of the main ideas of having FE/BE set up is so that you can send out a new FE and just replace the users version without any ill effects, are you implying that your users are storing user specific data in the front end?

Similarly other that changes to database structure (ie new columns, new tables etc) why would you need to send out a new backend?

It is possible to write code in and MDB which will update table structures in the backend by manipulating the tabledef structure (DAO) or using DDL SQL commands

Given you comments about being unable to distribute new FE and the need to update the BE, I am unsaure what you are trying to do Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

The fron end sits on users PC. The backend sits on a web server that dishes up active server pages for the user to update the dbase etc. The front end runs on one users PC and creates snapshot files etc whenever a web user requests them as well as other functions. The backend on the server holds ALL data that all users use. However this system is used separately at many different locations over the UK.

Maybe I'll look into the code you mentioned.

What I'm trying to do is have a small file that I can email to the separate sites, they can then run the file and it will make some changes / add objects etc to their backend or frontend (which needs updating). That way I don't have to distribute an entire new version of the mdb files.

Well, I can't say that I understand your system, but either way, you may want to look at a product called Surgical Strike, by Database Creations Inc. I think it will do what you want, unless the database uses Access security.

On my distributed databases, if I change only one line on one report or form, I send out a new .mdb front-end. Using Setup Factory from Indigo Rose, I automate the process for the end-user. It puts the new front-end on the server. When each user clicks their regular database icon, AutoFEUpdater automatically pulls all files from the server folder that are newer than the ones on the workstation (including the new .mdb front-end), and puts them on the workstation. It then opens the .mdb. I auto-refresh links from code so that the process is seemless. The user may or may not notice his front-end has just been updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back