Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access to Oracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvia23

Technical User
May 22, 2003
ES
Good morning everybody!!!
I'm creating an Oracle database taking a MS Access database as reference, actually, 3 Ms Access database, and this is my question: Should I create a different tablespace for each MS Access? or I'd simply put each one into a different datafile? ... I'd like to take advantage of all benefits of Oracle, but I'm new at this so I need some recomendation.
Another thing, is there any way of know which are the best values to set the initial and extent size of the datafiles?
Thanks a lot of, I know are very basic questions, but I read a lot about Oracle and so on, and these points aren't still clear to me.
Bye,
Silvia

You appear to be confusing datafiles and tablespaces

A tablespace consists of one or more datafiles

If I understand what you are trying to do, then a seperate scheme (user) with its own tablespace for each MS database would be the answer

Extents are dependant on the size of your objects.

For example I use 3 sizes, 1m for objects up to 10m, 10 m for objects up to 100m and 100m for anything over. As is often said 'Your mileage may vary' :)

Whatever size you choose though, keep the same size extents in the same tablespace. Do not mix them otherwise you end up with tablespace fragmentation.

Alex

Hi,

one more fact for defining the right extent size will be if the data is variable data or fixed data. It is not neccesary to give a big table a big extentsize if the data is changing once a year on so little data. So you'll take away too many space for that table/index. Keep this in mind and review the sizes if you're not sure.
Hth
Uwe

But the three databases are related to between them, so I don't know if it'd be the best solution create a diferent schema for each one. What I mean, it's that the data at three databases are accessed for the same application and the same users.
And about the size, the problem is that at this moment is a small database because the application is being building, but in the future will be bigger and I don't want to assign an insuficient size to the objects of the database. In fact, the idea is install the database at a server with more than 200 GB of space, so I ask you what do you think that it'd be the suitable size. The biggest table at this moment have 150 registers with no more than 20 columns.
Thanks a lot again,
Silvia

If the data is to be shared , then put it all in one schema

As for sizes - thats what test databases are for :)

What is the total size of your 3 access databases ?

Alex

Good morning!
Now the size of the 3 databases are 1'5MB, but the final database will be quite bigger, because at the actual moment only have some data of proof.
However, I suppose that I'll follow your advice and I'll try with a size and I'll see how about.
Thanks a lot of for helping me. The main question was to know if put the data separately or in the same schema.
Bye,
Silvia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back