Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access Portability

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMajik

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2002
I developed a database in MS Access 2000. Since then we decided to migrate to Office XP.

Everything went just fine until I took the database and set it up on a PC that only has Office XP and not Office 2000 on it. Because these PCs never had Office 2000 installed on them the database generates errors when loading that says there are some ActiveX controls as well as a .dll missing.

I took a missign .ocx file from my PC and installed it to a PC that never had Office 2000 on it. I used the Visual Basic part of Access to add the control. When I tried to use the ActiveX control I get an error message that says the control is not licensed.

How do I make this database protable?

Thank you.

oopen the Db and in the TOOLS/REFERNCES re link all the refs that you used in the orignal project... Bastien

There are many ways to skin this cat,
but it still tastes like chicken

The problem is with the ones that are not there. This happened because Office 2000 includes them but Office XP does not include them. The database is now on XP and when I add these files to the computer running Office XP I get a message saying the files are not registered.

I suspect this is because the ActiveX controls are registered with Office 2000 but not Office XP.

Any other ideas how to make this database portable? I am finding this hard to believe that Microsoft would make their stuff so difficult to share with the next release of their Office suite.

Thank you.

MrMajik. I've had nothing but headaches trying to get DB's to go from AC97 up to AC2000 - workgroups are the devil! I don't even want to THINK about XP. I sincerely hope that it works out for you. These things can be a real nightmare. Have you tried posting in the Microsoft Office forum? There are people there that might be able to help.

-Josh ------------------
-JPeters
Got a helpful tip for Access Users? Check out and contribute to 'How to Keep Your Databases from becoming Overwhelming!'
thread181-293590
jpeters@guidemail.com
------------------

When going through a VB6 class, I was told that the "registering" for DLLs was in regards to the Registry, not so much with product version releases.

The Microsoft-recommended way to register a component is through the Setup and Deployment Wizard.

Another method is a command line approach using /REGSERVER MY.DLL for out-of-process components and /REGSVR32 MY.DLL for in-process components.

The REGSVR32.EXE utility ships with Visual Basic. I do not know if it's part of the Office 2000 or XP suites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back