Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access on NT4.0 Server Very Slow Data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2001
US
Client is Windows XP Prof and MSAccess 95 database is on a NT4.0 Server.

XP client takes forever to run a query.

Is there any new ODBC setting or extra overhead that is causing the extremely slow performance? ---------------------------------------
Tom Berger
Formix Solutions, Corp.
Baltimore, MD

Slow compared to what?

Access is a "file database" and not a client/server database. In other words, there isn't any "server" piece to Access.

To do your queries, you suck all the data over the network and pick through it on the client when you use Access.

That's why you need really good key choices when you try to use an .MDB that sits on a file server. Then you can slurp down the keysets, comb through them, and then bring down only the records you need at the client.

But perhaps you know all this and are saying you've just switched your client machine from... something else to WinXP, and things are now slower than before?

You're right. I just got three new XP machines. 10 others are using Win98. Win98 clients are working OK but these XP machines are unusable.

These are my first XP machines. I must be overlooking some setting. I'm wondering if some new security setting in XP is adding overhead. ---------------------------------------
Tom Berger
Formix Solutions, Corp.
Baltimore, MD

No, I'm not using that protocol. I have no trouble opening the database. The initial screen is not linked to any data. But when I try to access data it takes forever. ---------------------------------------
Tom Berger
Formix Solutions, Corp.
Baltimore, MD

Hmm.

If one of these XP machines queries a local database (on its hard drive) is it slow too? In other words, are we sure it is a network/server issue and not an Access issue?

The same slow database opens locally just fine.

I opened a tech support call with Microsoft. They had me uninstall the QoS protocol from the network properties and install NetMon to monitor network traffic.

Uninstalling QoS got me half way there. Instead of 12 minutes to call data it "only" takes 4 or 5 minutes (win98 clients take 13 seconds).

I will continue to work on the problem today. ---------------------------------------
Tom Berger
Formix Solutions, Corp.
Baltimore, MD

I was thinking about the QoS settings - but thought, naw!

That normally only eats a fairly small fraction of network bandwidth. Sure makes me wonder what else is going on.

Hey Guys

What happened here, your discussion stopped.
I have the identical problem and need a solution. I have the database on Win2K and other Win2K and Win98 clients access it very well, as soon as I put in the WinXP client the database read slowed from milliseconds to minutes. I have also read that putting SP3 on Win2K makes the matter worse - after I did the upgrade.

Thanks

After hours of troubleshooting and time on the line with Microsoft, we decided to downgrade from XP to Win2K. It was my first and last experience with XP. XP works fine with later versions of Access but I couln't get it work with Access95. Until our developers upgrade the application, we're not introducing XP. If you ever find an explaination or solutions, I would love to know it...

tberger@formixsolutions.com ---------------------------------------
Tom Berger
Formix Solutions, Corp.
Baltimore, MD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back