Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access front end

Status
Not open for further replies.

citychap26

Programmer
Sep 19, 2004
GB
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has been done before.

I am hoping to use MS Access as a front end connecting to Oracle.

I will be using ADO to connect to the DB. It is envisaged that the solution will be rolled out to over 200 users. I can see that the IT department will not want to use MS Access.

I don't see there being any problems with concurrent users as the application will be light and not have any linked tables. I want to use MS Access as it has event driven forms.

Any thoughts.

Cheers

SK

G'day SK,

Working for a huge corporate that works with other huge corporates we come across this a lot.

Some food for thought rather than a solution I'm afraid: The "IT people" will ask "What is he trying to do to our data?!" If you're only gonna be querying then they may relax the sphincter a little.

Are they scared at the idea of buying 200 licences to use MS Access? If so the free runtime may be a proposition.

Do they have their own development dept? If so, you taking on this task may appear threatening to their own roles/reputations.

Most windows applications are event driven, 'tis the nature of the OS. Is there another development platform that may be more appropriate?

Please realise I'm not being critical, these are just the questions I have to ask some people or explain to others.

Good luck and hope this helps,

JB

Hi JB,

Actually the solution is to capture historic cases and enhance the data. It's a tactical solution.

The solution will also be used to capture 30 or so additional data fields that do not exist in current data feeds.

Indeed this is for "large" company. MS Access forms are event driven.

Cheers

SK

g'day SK,

If it's enhancing historical data perhaps suggest they produce a regular export file for your app which can then remain independant?

take it easy dude,

JB

Okay - I have over ten years with Oracle - so Oracle perspective.

Oracle too has event driven forms - 6i / 9i they have triggers at more levels in the form than you could dream of in access.

Oracle forms are distributed without (excess) desktop prescence thanks to the 3-tier architecture - this makes maintenance and distribution easier (I once built an access solution that spanned 13 networks - I know better now!)

Finally Oracle forms will not be using ODBC that is very limited on the transaction front - with Oracle forms you have form post level possibilities as well as full commit transactions on the database layer.

Finally - by building with Oracle on Oracle you will not have a jumble of technologies that require a bombay mix of skills to maintain.

In short - think again - it is not too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back