Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Access 2000 cannot edit fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

aconway

Programmer
Jun 4, 2011
US
I am using MS Access to interface with an ODBC connected MySQL database. I have several tables that I need to view and in a single query spreed sheet. But, access is not letting me edit the fields. When I try to edit my computer goes "bing".

So here is a run down of my tables and my query.

tables: contact, email, phone, address, report, report_validate, report_error

contact can have multiple emails, phone numbers, addresses and reports.

reports relates to report_validate and report_error as one-to-one on both tables.

For the query I want to only show the primary phone, primary email, primary address, all reports and the associated report_validate and report_error

so my query is kind of like this:

SELECT contact.name, contact.last_name, phone.phone, email.email, address.address, address.city, address.state, address.zip, reports.*, report_validate.*, report_error.*
FROM (((((contact LEFT JOIN reports ON reports.report_contact = contact.contact_id) LEFT JOIN reports_validate.report_id = reports.report_id) LEFT JOIN report_error ON report_error.report_id = reports.report_id) LEFT JOIN email ON email.email_contact = contact.contact_id) LEFT JOIN phone ON phone.phone_contact = contact.contact_id) LEFT JOIN address ON address.address_contact = contact.contact_id
WHERE address.is_primary = 1
AND phone.is_primary = 1
AND email.is_primary = 1

I was able to edit fields when I removed the address, phone and email content.

That is not an editable query. You have what appears to be a one to many query so Access cannot edit the records.

Try to replace the LEFT JOIN whith INNER JOIN

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

@JordanCN2
I believe you are right, I tried for hours rewriting this query. It became editable once I removed the phone, address and email tables.

Again, due the WHERE clause you don't have to use LEFT joins ...

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back