Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MRTG won't do the trick

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbuzzette

IS-IT--Management
May 5, 2006
US
I was using MRTG which will monitor an interface, but I need software that will monitor an IP address. Here is what is going on.

First let me start by saying that I don't understand SNMP at all, but I know that I need it in order to monitor bandwidth. I had MRTG working and I did have to set a public community up in order for it to work in the SNMP service. But here is the situation.

I have a number of web servers at a NOC. We get billed based on the average amount of bandwidth that we use. So I need to install software on the servers that will let me know what websites are using what amount of bandwidth. MRTG works, but it monitors internal traffic as well and that really throws things off since I do network backups every night.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I will try out these tools today and see how they work. Thank you. Our webservers are running IIS, but I didn't know that they can produce reports to monitor how much bandwidth each IP address is using. If it has the feature I would be most interested to know about it. Either way, thank you again for the information. I greatly appreciate it.

Always willing to help you, but it has been 3 years that I had to manage an IIS serverpark.
I know that IIS is able to log all activities.
If the chosen logfile format is correct, you must be able to find a loganalyzer which can produce all the nifty graphs you want.
Go to and do a search on "IIS".

I suggest you post your IIS questions in the IIS forum.
I guess the IIS forum readers can help you further with a better answer than I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back