Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mprexe not responding?!?!? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigelj

MIS
Jun 11, 1999
GB
Guys, I get this message on my Win95 workstations on an NT4 server network and there is no specific situation when it happens - it happens when it wants to! <br>
Has anyone else come across this one and how do you get round it. It won't let users log on. The machine just stops and after I press Ctrl-Alt-Del I find in the Task manager that this "Mrpexe" file is "not responding". Some suggested that it was to do with Active destop but I don't have it installed.<br>
<br>
<br>
HEEEELP...! Please!

MPREXE program looks at the users password file (check &lt;username&gt;.pwl in c:\windows.<br>
<br>
Get into windows (use safe mode if you can't go in normally) and delete the relevant password list. Restart to recreate the file.<br>
<br>
It happens occasionally when the pwl file gets corrupt or is not accessed correctly.<br>

It is still happening! I've deleted them and I though it had worked. Today I tried login in and it happened again. I finally logged in somehow and when I checked for any .pwl files there wan't any!?!???<br>
<br>
Any other suggestions by any chance please!?????<br>

I don't have an advanced solution for you, but when I used to get a persistent mprexe error, I would reimage the PC. I'm sure there's a better solution...I'd love to hear it too!

In Technet there is an article about MPREXE. The Q number is Q178084.<br>
<br>
Some points as to the cause are as follows. Please refer to that article because I am unable to post the whole thing here.<br>
<br>
<br>
CAUSE<br>
=====<br>
<br>
This behavior can occur for any of the following reasons:<br>
<br>
- Your password list (.pwl) file is damaged.<br>
<br>
- A service or application loading during the startup process is conflicting<br>
with another service or application.<br>
<br>
- There is a hardware conflict on your computer.<br>
<br>
- A hardware driver on your computer is missing or damaged.<br>

I've come across that problem too. Haven't been able to fix it but I did get around it by just simply adding into autoexec.bat a line - del c:\windows\*.pwl<br>
This way you will never get the mprexe problem again. Kind of ugly but it works!!

I think I might have to do just that. But I have also tried deleting some .PCB files from c:\windows and it seems to help. Any comments?

Not sure what .PCB files do but if this seems to help you, please respond back in this forum and let me know. Maybe that will help me too.

I think it helps....because even if manage to log in after the MPREXE error I would find no .PWL files. When I delete the .PCB files which you will probably see have the usernames in the filename - it seem better after that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back