Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MPP to Primavera

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsekharj

Programmer
Nov 10, 2001
US
Does any body out there have any idea of converting already existing MPP stuff to TeamPlay

Also any idea of the API

This is rather like a self reply but then I ...

Primavera Project Manager has an option (actually more than 1) for converting different formats including MPP.

Primavera Project manager has an option for Import and Export. But I have been told that they are not very effective. Let me see what i can do ... till then

Play Team Play

Another option is to transfer the data via excel. Both programs can be exported or copied into excel. It's viewed as the nuts and bolts approach but it works.

Copy MSProj. data and paste it into a spreadsheet.
Export Primavera data into a spreadsheet.

Now just copy and paste data from one spreadsheet into the other as long as the data columns match....such as early start dates, activity description, activity ID.....

hope this helps,

Using EXCEL as an intermidiate tool may help out, but then again it is not going to be very different to import it back into Project manager.

a very starring example for this disadvantage is the fact that The Primavera Project Manager import utility does not import 'User Defined' fields.

Also when we import into Project Manager either from EXCEL or MS Project, I am loosing the basline information. That is to say I am able to see my Baseline Start and End Dates but then when I go into Project->Baselines then i am not able to see an entry there ...

I need a more feasible solution as I also need to do a batch import and not just 1 or 2 schedules.

Happy Migration

There are several solutions for converting .MPP to .MPX which can be directly imported IIRC. Mr. Paul Harris has published some papers on his web site that discuss the issues with each method. Perhaps you may find something useful in this thread:

Bernard Ertl
www.interplansystems.com - eTaskMaker project planning tool

If the problem is that Primavera has the facility to convert only from MPX and not from MPP, and since MS Project does not save MPP as MPX, you would need to convert MPP to MPX.

Sciforma Corporation has a free download for such a convertor at:
Hope this is what you are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back