Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MPLS VPN for 2 site question

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddypc

Technical User
Aug 30, 2006
CN
My company will install a new 2M MPLS vpn line for two site by telecom service provider. According to Service provider, this line won't have real ip address and only connect two site office with closed private network through teleocm's provided Cisco Router. So don't need to pass through both site's firewall.

That means.
(A) Office_A LAN > router ---- vpn ------- router < Office_B LAN

My original idea is as below.
(B) Office_A LAN > firewall > router --- vpn ---- router < firewall < Office_B LAN

I don't have those experience for vpn. Since telecom provider suggests above(A), is it safe? or do most company will make this connection without pass through firewall? Thanks.

I currently run a 3 site MPLS network for a 100 million dollar company and it is totally secure. I also have going through this VoIP between the sites plus share the internet from site a to b&c. If this is a managed service then you will be fine.

You mean item (A) above is fine for not going through firewall? Thanks.

I do have a VPN/Firewall inplace, but AT&T internet router also is firewalled. The MPLS is a secure internal network that links the sites together. The firewall comes into play when the internet is involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back