Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MPLS Question - help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

icw27

IS-IT--Management
Nov 22, 2002
NL
I have studied the Cisco Press book for the 640-910 exam and when I was revising (by flicking through TK) I found this question which I think is wrong:

Q. The VPN named my_vpn is operating on interface s0/0 of a PE-router. The CE-PE routing protocol is RIP. The MPLS backbone IGP is OSPF. However, when you review the configuration for the PE-router, you find that BGP has been configured.
What explains this configuration?

A. VPN routes are always imported and exported using MP-BGP
B. This router is configured improperly.
BGP is not needed for this configuration.
C. This router is configured improperly.
E-BGP is the required routing protocol between PE-CE
routers.
D. BGP should be configured on all routers supporting MPLS
to ensure backward-compatibility reasons for earlier
version of IOS.

TK says the answer is C, but I think the answer is A. I don't think E-BGP is the "required" protocol between PE-CE. CE routers can use RIP, OSPF, Static or BGP. B is obviously wrong as MP-BGP is needed to carry VPNv4 routes. D is wrong because backbone routers only need to run an IGP. That leaves me A. A I think is right because VPNv4 addresses can only be exchanged between MP-BGP peers.

Can some CCIP or MPLS expert please confirm this?

Many thanks. I'm hoping to sit my MPLS exam on Friday so a quick response would be appreciated!!.

hi
how u got a reply.. i just joined today ...but your reasoning is 100 % ... i am writing my 642-611 next friday so the stuff is still fresh in the grey matter

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back