Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MPLS bandwidth for 160 concurrent call

Status
Not open for further replies.

youthtelco

IS-IT--Management
Apr 28, 2022
US
We have Avaya CM./Aura 8.1 and SBCE, SM1,SM2, and 2 Media gateway. Our maximum concurrent calls are 160 at the peak time. We have some call quality issue after one of our phone system migration from PRI to SIP-Trunk. we're using MPLS VPN with Carrier, they said like this.

For this circuits QoS:
- The total rate limit is set to 780mb
- The Ingress EF queue is set with a rate limit of 80mb. EF queue only matches for traffic tagged with EF, no other DSCP values are matched into it.

is this right for us?

How many bandwidth do we need to have for 160 concurrent call for switchport uplink?

thanks in advanced.

Assuming G.711 @ 84K you would need approx. 13.4M for 160 calls.

I always allow 100kbps per G711 call to allow for extra overheads (and it makes the maths easier :) )

I'd set the rate limit at 50Mbps
EF QoS at 15Mbps for RTP
AF31 QoS at 1Mbps for Signalling

TBH for 160x trunks I'd just tag both the RTP and Signalling as EF

In the UK the cost of circuit bandwidth is very low so choosing 50Mbps or 100Mbps on a fibre based ether circuit doesn't cost that much difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back