Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MPEG encoders and general VCD questions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdogg

Technical User
Jul 30, 2001
US
Thanks in advance for reading this post:

I have many video files in various formats including .AVI, .MPG, and .DIVX. In order to make a VCD, these files have to all be encoded in MPEG-1. I've figured that much out. I also have a nice little utility that will convert "normal" AVI files to MPEG-1.

However, my problem is that some .MPG files that I didn't encode myself aren't encoded properly to work with Roxio's VCD Creator. Are there any apps that you know of that can help change the compression schemes or convert it to the proper format? Better yet, are there any apps that can convert DIVX files??

Finally, some AVI files I have use compressed Audio. The little utility I use is AVI2VCD. This utility cannot convert AVI files if it uses compressed audio (many of them do). Any suggestions on a good alternative app would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

This program can convert any format to any other format plus a wide range of other options - all provided that you've got the codecs for each video format.

Great! Any good advice gets a star. I quickly skimmed over the features of Virtual Dub, but it appears that it will not let you convert an MPEG-2 to AVI. What about DIVX? As long as I can get any video file to MPEG-1, I'll be ok...any other suggestions or does this app do it all?

You were really premature on giving out a star on that advice. Virtual dub seems to be VERY limited in it's applications,,,,,,, modern 2002 software work, and it's a total GEEK ONLY tool, designed to be about as user-friendly as Linux version 1.

Hey, I'm no pro, but I know that your knowledgeable about computers ( I have read some of your posts, and given you a star a couple of times), and I suggest you do the Internet search....... Google!, and see what you come up with.

Also: NEWSGROUPS........ that is where the semi-pros post.
Try one of their FAQ's - from a Multimedia usenet newsgroup. That will give you more clues........

I just know there are good forums that will give you more information,,,,,,, and you can find current info on the Net that will fill in gaps,,,,,, and keep you moving in the right direction. I think that you know, that you can't rely on any one source of information, especially when it comes to software issues: There are just too many ways to do things, and too many programs out there.

I'm just starting to learn how to do this, and I am starting by rounding up HI-QUALITY SOFTWARE..... I will not use somebody's freeware,,,,,, as you get what you pay for.
( I actually tried Virtual Dub about 2-months ago, and found it to be of ZERO use for what I wanted. I was also not about to spend 20-Hours to learn how to use it)

I can recommend ONE site, right now, that will allow you to download TRIAL version of their software:

If you don't like the software, you will sure learn something by using it........

Jakespeare,

Good point about using more than one source. I posted this question in several forums hoping to accomplish just that. It turns out that many apps work in conjunction with VirtualDub (AVISynth, FlaskMPEG, Nandub, TMPGEnc, RAD Tools, etc.) to perform different tasks. Here's a link I obtained in another forum:

It does take a lot of time to learn all this, but I believe most of my problems can be remedied by using these tools.

Cdogg,
Get yourself to this site

Quite a comprehensive list of tools here. Freeware, demo's or full progs. Everything

I'm doing the same sort of stuff myself at the moment. I'm using MGI Videowave 5 to do the editing and compression. I can also burn to DVD, MiniDVD (on CD-R or CD-RW) or CD Video from Videowave.

Only problem I get is the videoCD's get a bit blocky on the DVD player. Can't find how to increase the size from 3xx x 2xx to something a bit bigger in order to reduce that blockyness

(did you get that e-mail about CEpro)

Bryn(kwunder)

Kwunder: MPEG-1/VCD is as format maximized at 352x288(PAL), but on some system you can bypass that.

A better solution would be to make an S-VCD which is based on MPEG-2 and a resolution of 480x480 (NTSC) or 480x576 (PAL) and a variable bitrate with a max of 2520 kbit/s.

It looks really good. You really have to look close to see any difference from normal DVD on normal videomaterial.

More info on SVCD at:

ddlink,
Thanks for the info. I have now tried svcd and I agree. Quality is fantastic. I got nearly 40 minutes of video with a stereo soundtrack on a single 80min CD. Excellent !!!

kwunder

KEEP POSTING GUYS....... your saving me A TON OF TIME (in tracking down all this info on my own)

OK then !
One other tip is, check to see if your DVD player can read CD-RW disks. Mine can and I have saved a fortune by doing all my test run stuff onto a re writeable disk. Blank it off if it's not quite right and start again. No more coasters !!!

kwunder

kwunder,

Thanks for the info. TMPGEnc is a nice little utility that enables you to take just about any existing video format and encode it to MPEG-1. When you did MPEG-2 for S-VCD, did it work in your DVD player? Mine only says it can read VCD, not S-VCD though I haven't tried.

CD-RW should work on virtually every DVD player out there. CDR's on the otherhand might not. If your CDRW doesn't work in your DVD player, try another brand before assuming it just won't work...

{BTW, yes kwunder! I received your email and thought I replied! Thanks for following up!}

Cdogg,
I have a Pioneer DVD player and it plays S-VCD's beautifully. The quiality IS definately better, given the greater resolution. Only slight drawback I found is that I have no run time display, and I can't select repeat to replay the disk indefinately. Small Price !

I have been capturing my footage from my Digicam in MGI Videowave 5, but I find the VCD & DVD Authoring rubbish, so I encode to DV PAL format, then convert to S-VCD with good old TMPGEnc. I also use a bitrate calculator to get the optimum bitrate. Perfect results !

(I didn't get a reply to that e-mail mate, sorry)
kwunder

the fastest way to convert from avi to mpeg is tmpgenc. its much quicker dan avi2mpg. in addition, if u wanna rip dvds, try smartripper and flaskmpeg. smartripper sud take away the protection and flask wud convert from mpeg-2 to avi directly. if the dvd is not widescreen use dvd2avi. its alot faster than flaskmpeg- about 6-8 hrs on flask for a 2 hour movie while its only bout 3-5 hrs on dvd2avi. u can also use virtualdub to fix it first, den use tmpgenc to make it mpeg to burn onto vcd. its a case by case ding since i've dled bout 75-100 "bad" videos and had to convert. im up to about 30 progs *small* dealing wit video and u juss have to keep trying until it works. check out *i dink dats how u spell it, if it isnt go to google and search divx digest* den go to downloads and sud be more than enough if you do not download many corrupted files. also has many codecs. oh yea u can also use tmpgenc to cut ur mpeg *only mpeg* and fast too. only takes about 10-20 mins depending on how long the movie is. for future info, virutal dub can only save in avi form, tmpgenc only save in mpeg form. hope dis helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back