Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mozilla and netscape problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

misfitelias

Technical User
Jan 20, 2005
BE
My website works fine under internet explorer but under mozilla and ns it is very ugly. Is there a script which can detect which browser it is and automaticly lead the surfer to other more convienient pages?

*we* should stress that just because something works in IE doesn't mean it's necessarily properly coded.

IE let's the HTML coder get away with murder. It interprets missed tags etc in it's own way and "fills in the blanks" where the coder has missed things.

This, obviously, is undesirable as it removes the control away from the coder/designer and into the hands of a faceless drone at Microsoft.

Firefox, Netscape, Opera (although none of them perfect) are MUCH less forgiving than IE, so your errors show up.

Coding to web standards and using the W3C validator to check your code goes a long way to making sure it's going to work as YOU, the coder/designer want it to work.

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Target Marketing Communications - Advertising, Direct Marketing and Public Relations
I wonder what possesses people to make those animated gifs. Do you just get up in the morning and think, "You know what web design r

1. You are using IE only opacity effects. You can do the same thing in Moz based browsers quite simply. You just need to include both methods in the CSS.

2. height is never going to work. To do this, place the text in a wrapper div and apply the background to the wrapper. Then place another div after the text, but also in the wrapper and set it to clear:both; This will force the height of the wrapper down around the text.

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Target Marketing Communications - Advertising, Direct Marketing and Public Relations
I wonder what possesses people to make those animated gifs. Do you just get up in the morning and think, "You know what web design r

wow, tnx for helpin me out, it became better. but how do i put the opacity effects for mozilla based browsers in?

I tried the two:
-moz-opacity: .5;
opacity: .5;

But they did not work in my firefox browser?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back