Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mozilla 1.7 Browser error message - OCSP 8073 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trybry

Technical User
Jan 10, 2004
US
Hi,

While visiting certain pages, I get this message from my browser (Mozilla 1.7),

"Error trying to validate certificate from secure1.insweb.com using OCSP - corrupted or unknown response. Error Code - 8073"

Is this a typical fault with Mozilla?

Is this a virus or trojan related error?

How can I either update the Certificates or fix the OCSP handler?

Both sites I've visited are reputible and I wonder how the certificates became corrupted. I have also visited the sites prior to this with Mozilla and can still visit them using other browsers (MS IE).

The sudden corrupted messages make me wary.

Thanks

definitely run Spybot S&D and Adaware SE - there is a not exactly very recent exploit pertaining to "fake" secure servers, even using a fake "golden lock" on the status bar.
see

Also - sometimes sites let their certificates "expire" - I've emailed such sites in the past to resolve the issue - just make sure it's not a "spoofed" site or email address you're sending it to, to inquire

I have mine (under Privacy and Security >> Validation) set to "use OCSP to validate certificates that specify an OCSP service URL"

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Thanks Tippy,

My browser is set to the same security prefs as yours.

The certificates work on other browsers. Only these two have been rejected by Moz 1.7.2?

I will check for adware and spyware too.

Thanks

Tippy,

I got the same message ("Error trying to validate certificate from bugzilla.mozilla.org using OCSP - corrupted or unknown response. Error Code - 8073").

Even when I tried to access the link you sent me too?

well - it's a Secure Site (HTTPS:\\)
hmmmm, wonder what's going on

Check the Spyware issue pronto!

Try the site in IE

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.

I really don't know where to go from here, except to say to email each site and inquire more info.

The site through IE sounds OK. I'm not sure how to replace a corrupted certificate in Moz or IE - never had to.

Run the Spyware/Adaware progs first
Also a up to date Virus Scanner
Free online scanners here;
faq760-3862

TT4U

Notification:

Thanks anyways Tippy,

You were the only one to reply!

Thanks again

wishin you well trybry...please keep me posted on updates...
thanks

TT4U

Notification:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back