Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving W2K DC to new W2K DC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dollie

MIS
May 2, 2000
US
I'm slated to move our data to a new server this weekend, and it hit me that I'm moving our domain controller.

Because it will be the new DC and we also have users with mapped drives as well as network printers, would it be easiest to name the new server with the same name as the old server? I'm thinking that this will keep the move seamless for my users.

I found a great article (Q249694) on MS's site about moving to new hardware, but it does not apply to domain controllers.

Thanks in advance!

well my domain has 3 different sites, 3 diff dc's so I didnt have to transfer fsmo being we already have one, But I did get the pop up about creating a new GC in the one site, I believe this happened when I dcpromo'd the old server to demote it.

manually go in and make the new server GC.

Dollie it sounds like we are in a similar situation. I have a server that needs to be replaced with a new server using the same IP address and name that the old server had.

I am very new to working on microsoft servers so I am not sure if I am doing this right but heres what I am thinking about doing.

Server1(the old guy) is a 2000 server that is a domain controller.
Server2 is a 2000 advanced server. I have already copied all the files from one server to the other that I want to bring over. So...

1. Make server2 into a DC using dcpromo.
2. Demote Server1, rename it and changing it's IP address.
3. Promote it back to a DC. Wait for the DC's to sync.
4. Demote server2 and give it the original server1 name and IP address.
5. Re-promote server2. Wait for the DC's to sync.
6. Demote the old guy as a DC and remove from the domain.

Kind of like playing a shell game, but with only two shells!

Is this the right idea or would this just make a huge mess?

1. dcpromo server2 - repicate.
2. transfer roles to server2 (FSMO & GC)- replicate
3. dcpromo server1 (demote) -replicate
4. remove server1 from domain
5. re-assign ip and name

on #5 I've never renamed a DC so I dont know what that involves but I dont see why it wouldnt work as long as the old server was peaced out.

Im not sure you can rename a server that is a DC. I think you have to demote it, rename the server and then re-promote it.

This would have to be done before deleting the original old server so that it could be used as the DC during the renaming of the new server.

the problem with renaming the DC is how the services such as DNS, DHCP, etc... are tied into Or how AD is tied into the computers name.

bob

Jones' Law
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

or you could just use a different name to simplify things.. in this scenario AD, DNS, DHCP setup are a breeze. DNS migrates zones from old server as does AD info and setting up a dhcp scope is childs play.

as far as user directories go, just edit the scripts to point to the new server.

doesnt get easier then that.

I concur jaksen112 Just you a different name and sve yourselves a whole lot of headaches.

bob

Jones' Law
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

If a server is a DC, aren't there more services running on it? (Please note that I'm not an MCSE, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.)

Two of my servers are DC's. If I demote one will the other pick up as a the primary DC? If so, I can then physically remove the server, put the new one in using the same computer name, join it to the network, then promote it to DC. Is this logical?

Also, if there are two DC's, is the first one to boot the primary or is it the first one in line on the network that picks up as the primary?

I've found some great reference articles on the MS site, and am hoping that with the assistance I've found here, backed up by MS info, things will go smooooooooth on Saturday! There's still 2 days to go, so it's possible other questions may pop up before then.

winoto

You can rename a DC just the ensuing disaster might not make it worth your while

bob

Jones' Law

Once a server has been made a DC, it prevents you from renaming it. The only way to rename it is to remove it from the network completely, demote it, then rename. I just went thru this exact scenario when I thought about using the same server name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back