Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving to Access 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFestoe

Technical User
Dec 16, 2003
GB
I have over the years built my own database and learned alot for the good people of this forum. One of my computers died so i bought a new one and loaded MS office 2010 to get up to date.

Now my problem is my DB was created in Access 2003 is there a way to transfer it accross or should i start a fresh with access 2010 ?

I want to be able to update a table from my phone so would a new start be a good idea?

My Access 2003 skills are a bit rusty as it's so old, but I would presume that Access will recognise it when you open it in 2010 and prompt you to convert it or open it read only.

Access 2010 I believe will still open MDB's fine. With Access 2007 there is a new file format accdb.

In general it is easy to convert to a new file format and converting to an older one can cause problems. The new version is not baskwards compatible and the new ribbon thing takes some getting used to and then you only tolerate it. Access 2010 is better than 2007.... be glad you skipped.

If you don't know, don't convert to a new version yet. Do convert if there is no compelling reason not to.

Timfoster, i have opened a blank version in 2010 it doesnt like the switchboard created in 2003 not tried to convert it yet, will try with the blank one.

Lameid, I know what you mean with the ribbon after 5 mins i so wanted to give up.

The Ribbon: a couple things to know... First the intent is to group functions together as you would naturally use them. This works great in Word or Excel but I'm all over the place in Access... So this doesn't work out as well but you can almost see what they were going for.

Secondly, you can quickly change tabs by putting your cursor on the ribbon and using the mouse scroll wheel... I did not figure that one out until I got used to clicking the tabs. I think starting with that information from the beginning might make it more usable... Good luck. I'm still hoping I can break my habits an use the wheel.

Spent last night trying to find my way around 2010, think iam there.

Looking for a starting point here before i create my tables.

Basically i want to be able to run a query over the internet so i can pull a customer record and have it sent to my phone, in 2003 i used software from pocket PC creations which is brillant.

Does access 2010 have any builtin functions ? sorry to ask but 2010 compared to what i am used to is like learning to ride a bike again.

If you keep your 2003 database there is no reason it shouldn't work in 2010 and the same software wouldn't work with it assuming your OS is supported. As for built in support for that exact functionality... I haven't seen it but I am betting it could be done. Alas, I'm not up on the spefics of how to interface with a phone. You may have better luck with a new thread with your specific topic in the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back