Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving the soundcard sockets to the front 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPJeffery

Technical User
May 26, 2006
GB
I know you can get speakers with a headphone socket but I have a set of speakers I like which don't have one of these headphone connectors.

As my PC has a soundcard installed the front headphone socket has become redundant.

Reaching round the back to swap out the speaker cable for the headphone cable isn't feasible so, is there a (small) unit you can get that connects to the sockets on the soundcard to show them at the front of the PC?

JJ
[small][purple]Variables won't. Constants aren't[/purple]
There is no apostrophe in the plural of PC (or PST, or CPU, or HDD, or FDD, and so on)[/small]

Would'nt it be easier to use a stereo cable extension lead?

Shaun (A+, N+)

Post as to which Sound card you have installed?

some have headers where you can use the cable (leading to the front panel) that attached to the mainboard...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

BadBigBen is on the right track as usual...you might be able to have your cake and eat it too, most of the Creative cards support front-panel connectors.

Tony

Users helping Users...

TaffyRed Well, it's an option I have and will consider, but only as a last resort because I'd rather not have three or four cables (i.e. to allow access to all the sockets) trailing around under a desk that already has lots of cables.

BadBigBen It's a Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Digital.

wahnula I'm hoping so (I like cake). Thoroughly enjoyed the humour in the Step right up...test your diagnosis skills here... thread, by the way.

JJ
There is no apostrophe in the plural of PC (or PST, or CPU, or HDD, or FDD, and so on)[/small]

Hmmm...your product seems to have achieved "archived product" status at Creative, and does not seem to support front-panel headers.

Assuming you want the headphones to mute the speakers when plugged in (most people do) then you'll have to pony up the cash for an X-Fi which supports Intel front-panel headers, that will mute the plugged-in-the-rear speakers. Make sure your case has the appropriate plugs before buying!

Tony

Users helping Users...

Yes, I've had it a good few years now. It's a good card but lacks support for EAX Advanced (which one of my favourite games, 'Thief:Deadly Shadows' supports) so buying a new card is definitely under consideration.

Make sure your case has the appropriate plugs before buying

What do I need to look for? It's a business PC so I'm not optimistic that it'll have them (it's an HP Compaq dc7600 Convertible Minitower PC)

JJ

Ben, I tromped around on the Creative site and found a layout for the Live!5.1 board...lots of jumpers, but not the correct pinouts to use with front panel jacks. You need:

1. Headphone out
2. Headphone SW (shuts off the rear speakers)
3. Line/Mic in (not as important, but nice to have)

JPJeffrey, look for the terminus of the front panel jacks' cables. There is some difference between the Intel HD standard and the AC'97 standard, but I think this refers to only pin assignments for a multi-pin plug, not individual 2-socket plugs like you find on most case connectors, which can be rearranged more easily.

I looked at this and this and think either one should do the job, but it's not my money and the subject still needs a bit of research.

Another option would be to return to your original sound arrangement...[smile]

Tony

Users helping Users...

BadBigBen - Some of that stuff you're showing me is scary! But the second item is pretty much what I'm thinking of.

wahnula - Are you suggesting taking the cables for the front connectors and connecting them to the Creative board?

Those two links look very close to the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Might try and contact Creative direct to see if I can get an opinion from anyone there on this too (although I find their lack of 24 hour cover REALLY annoying. Most replies from them come through at 4am UK time!)...

(2 minutes later)

Sometimes all that is needed is the right search phrase. My first search on my favourite supplier's site with 'audio panel' as the criteria shows me this:
which might not be exactly right, but it's getting there.

JJ

Don't be surprised if Creative is of no help supporting third-party devices. I find it pretty weak of them not to post manuals for their products as a download option on their support pages.

You need to be sure the front bay supports the same type of connector available on the audio card. Your case might have them.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Actually, I was banking on Creative producing something of the sort I'm after.

And you're right about them not publishing their manuals as PDFs, a practice all too many vendors are guilty of...

JJ

JP - sorry about scaring you... but I tend to forget that not every one is as brave as I am, in testing things out...

The Front panel outputs that you and wahnula found will not work on that card... but have a look at this, I found it on eBay UK:

Wahnula - of course you are right, there isn't a direct hook up, only if you use a converter (Analog2Digital)... that is why I also pointed out the Live Drive...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back