Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving the quorum resource

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvincenn

MIS
Sep 14, 2001
US
Hi,

I'm trying to prevent a cluster failure and was looking for some advice about the best way proceed.

The cluster drive which hold the quorum resource has an error (it shows up in the event log). I'd like to point the cluster resource to another cluster drive and then run chkdsk on the drive with errors.

Can I move the quorum resources on-the-fly without impacting the cluster?

Thanks in advance.

I have a simillar issue, I need to stop cluster services on both nodes, but I think if I take the quorum resource offline things will go haywire? 01110000

Hi

Well, you can also just move the quorum...to another shared disk. Easiest way is to attach a new or an unused disk no more than 2GB for the new quorum(to big quorums make the cluster fail) usually you just need 100-200MB since youi won't be placing any other stuff than the cluster log file on the quorum. When you have made sure the new disk is viewed by both nodes make a new disk resource and put the new disk in the cluster group(default name that is). After that you take properties on cluster, the upper most "thing" with 2 comps. in it. then choose "Quorum" and just point to the new quorum resource, make sure you have done an partition on the new disk before and it will show up in the partition.

Regards
Johan

Johan, you cannot just move the quorum.
First you should start the cluster service with the parameters:
clussvc –debug –noquorumlogging
then you can copy the old quorum log there.
Then, stop and restart the cluster service (without those parameters of course).

Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K

I agree with Johan,

You can as far as I am aware move the quorum resource using the method he described.

Regards

Marc

OK, Marc, possible to work. What I'm saying is Microsoft answering, that I was checking now, is in the book too.
If you are just copying it, don't be surprised if you will have problems later. You will have inconsistencies in the cluster database hive and quorum log.

Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl

Giabetiu, i have just(5 min ago) done this "move". The thing is that you don't just move it, you point out a new location for your quorumlog-file. There isn't any manual moving going on, this is from inside the cluster administrator and if this isn't in the book that you have..well...i am sorry that you bought it :(

I have set up aprox. 12-15 production clusters and i have moved the cluster on at least 5-8 of these since we are now using VVM3.1 and you can't install the quroum right away on VVM-diskgroups since you don't have that resource installed in the cluster since you haven't installed the cluster yet.

You can test this "move" without endanger your cluster environment, just put a shared disk in the cluster group and take properties on the cluster, choose quorum and change the disk it should reside on BUT don't click ok or apply since it then will change it, you will see that the partition will change to the other disk.

Regards
Johan

Forgot to include this from Knowledge Base.

Search on Q280353 and you will find microsoft´s version on what i have said earlier in this thread.

Regards
Johan

Johan,
don't worry, I had an exam from Clustering, and I passed it.
As about experience in working with ms cluster believe me that I have also.
This is not about just changing the location of where your cluster willkeep the quorum. Indeed that is a simple step. This is also about how the synchronization between your old quorum and the registry hive was working, as long as the one that asks was saying that harddrive is reporting errors.

So, it seems that you have to learn more about. And the book used to learn was good enough to help me fix the theoretical knowledge. You can have a lot of prcatice, sometime it will be your turn when lack of theory will lead to mistakes.

Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl

hehe, i don't just have practical experience ...i can post my titels aswell.

But really, i think we missunderstand each other. I am not talking about moving, like in copying the quorum log file. I do this from within the cluster administrator. I have checked the registry and it correctly displays the new quorum drive. And this is possible to from within cluster administrator i think microsoft have thought about to change the registry, don't you?

But your way is the right way IF the quorum-disk have crashed, and yes...i have done thoose steps too. but in this case the quorum-disk still works, he is trying to prevent a quorum-disk failure and if it fails, your way is the right way to go.

Regards
Johan
CNE 4, Master CNE 4, MCSE, Compaq ASE nt4, wk2 & alpha, Master ASE High Availability(cluster)

PS
hmm, I have more certifications than you...does this make me more right?

Whatever, there are always shortcurs, and tricks. But when is about a production system I would choose always the safest path.
As about certification, I was just replying onthe fact that you were saying that I didn't understood anything from that book (and if this isn't in the book that you have..well...i am sorry that you bought it :( ) or that the book was not good.
The book was from Microsoft and is part of the official curriculum. I have to trust the guys that built microsoft cluster services.
But again, why i was giving that solution is because is more safe.

Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back