Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving the Program Files\Common Files\System directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

polymorphicAlpha

IS-IT--Management
Dec 2, 2002
US
Does anyone know of a way to move the Program Files\Common Files\System directory for IIS 5 to another drive? I'd surmise that there would be a registry hack for it. We basically want to move that dir with all 3 sub dir's and files off the system drive and onto the drive where our sites reside.

I can't for the life of me see why you would want to attempt this. You would have to de-register and re-register all the DLLs plus find every key for every program\system that referenced these folders\files. It is not exclusive to IIS.
The only sure way of making this work would be to reinstall and change the drive that Windows installs to.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Excellent, thanks. Yeah, with other apps accessing them I guess that would be a bad thing. The long and short is that we wanted to do it for security reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back