Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving SouceSafe Database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHY

Programmer
Dec 8, 1998
US
I'm replacing the server which holds the Sourcesafe databaseof serveral VB.NET applications to a new server. Wonder if anyone can point out the correct procedures to backup/restore and connect the development IDE VS.NET 2002 to the new database on the new server.

Thanks!

I moved a SourceSafe database to another machine with surprising ease. I just installed SourceSafe on the new machine, copied the entore VSS folder over there, and set up the new installation to point to it. Then I renamed the folder on the old machine to prevent an accidental access of it. It was really way more simple than I expected it to be.

Another way is first to backup the old entire directories in previous VSS, then after installation of the new one, restore the backup .ssa file to the new empty database.
how? first use VSS explorer then in File-----> open source safe databse------> browse to the new database location and open it. then open VDD admin and restore the backup job, choose another location instead of the Original location and point to new $ database. after restore open the VSS explorer on each client computer open the new databse, choose each project and create for each a new working folder. attention that no project is still have the old working folder. after a while when you are sure that all changes are transferred to the new VSS, you can delete the old working folders.
hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back