Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Sharepoint to another machine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlesCVA

IS-IT--Management
Oct 20, 2005
US
I am tasked with moving sharepoint from an older server to a newer one. I have no idea where to begin. any tips?

Okay. So i have run into this program called smigrate.exe. it is a microsoft product which will supposedly back up the sharepoint files. then i can supposedly restore them to the new server. i have not done that yet because i am not sure what effect it will have on the websites already on the new server. any help would be great please!

- Why didnt we just start out keeping things simple?

I have backed up the original sites and am finally doing a restore of the sharepoint files to the new server. I ran into an error that said "This website already has a template. you must delete the site and create a new template before you can restore." So i deleted the site and created a new on in the admin area of sharepoint. Its restoreing ??/11830 files as i type. i will post whether or not it worked.

Hello,

Keep in mind that when using smigrate.exe it does not backup the user rights. I would instead use the stsadm.exe tool to bacup and restore the sites.

If you want to move just a subsite in a site collection smigrate.exe is the tool to use, but if you are moving an entire sitecollection then use the stsadm.exe, that way it keeps your user-rights.

Regards,
Thomas

Good morning, its friday finally...
Last night the move was successfull. thank you Thomas for the information about the user rights. I was unaware of that issue. So everything is good. Now I have to figure out the issue with the "network" Other computers on the network arent seeing the server. But that is supposed to be my "specialty" so i will sort it out from here. thanks for the feed back.

----Thread Closed?

---Thread Re-opened... :'-(

The original server is a win2003 srvr. It has DNS and DOMAIN CONTROLLER services installed and running. On the original sharepoint database i am able to log into sharepoint without any problems. (using the same username and PW i use to log into the domain from my client machine).

However i cannot log into the new server's sharepoint. I checked the User Rights, they are all good. The new sharepoint has all the data that the original one has(on the calendar, etc.). So i think that sharepoint on the old server allows logins from the domain users? and if so does this mean i have to set up a NEW DOMAIN on the new server?! This is turning out to be quite a pain in the ass btw.
Any additional help would be appreciated.

Hello,

Have you setup DNS records for accessing the sharepoint?
If you have, are they pointing to the new server?

In our environment we have created CNAME records in the DNS and then point them to a specific machine where we have one of our SharePoint environments and then in the IIS we are using hostheaders to direct users to the correct site.

Regards,
Thomas

I just got done moving a Production Instance of our Finance & Accounting Portal from one machine to another. Here's my notes:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Migrating a SharePoint Portal from one server to another

When migrating a SPPS BkUp Utility backup from one machine to another, you do not create an empty SPPS portal instance on the new machine before you start the migration. The Restore will create it for you. You do how ever need an empty Virtual Server created before the Restore, hence you’ll need that VS pointing to a Physical Directory.

The Steps:

1. Create a Directory (Folder) on the root of C:\ Named "HR"
2. Set-up a Virtual Server (New Website) in IIS on the Destination Machine (PRD)
a. Using the Wizard – point to the physical directory C:\HR
b. Keep the default - (All Unassigned) for the IP address
c. Keep the default - Port 80
d. Add an entry for the Host Header – "HR" (Or whatever suits you)
3. Make an entry in the DNS server for "HR" that points to the IP of the PRD machine. It will default to port 80.
4. Backup the source portal to its native machine using the SPPS Backup utility.
5. Copy the backup files to the destination machine.
6. Restore the portal into the new machine. If you have completed the previous step correctly, you should have the virtual server you created ("HR") in the DDL of the possible server to be selected.

Gotchas:
Make sure you check the checkbox in the Restore Tab of the Backup Utility or the "Restore" button will be grayed out and not be available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back