Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving share dir 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

helsknight

IS-IT--Management
Nov 10, 2004
US
I'm moving a large 100+ gig share from on hard drive to another. I need the share to retain all share/security/file. I tried xcopy and that didn't go so well because some files have problems moving, etc. What's the best way to do this. I need a tool to move all this and report which file fail and so forth. Any help would be appreciated.

Hels

You can try Robocopy from the Windows Server Resource kit. However, last time I had to do something like this, I found the most fool proof way to do this was to back up the share using whatever backup program you use and then doing a retore.

Good point pgaliardo. I can do a backup and just restore to the new hd. genius!!! Ok before I get overly excited, any potential flaws with this method?

I didn't run into any. Worked better than xcopy and robocopy for me because even robocopy was giving me access denied on sensitive accounting folders which I had no access to and I did not want to take ownership of them. Just hope you have sufficient backup media (tape or disk) to back up 100+ GB to.

Also try the Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit, helped me consolidate a number of shares to one system.

"I'm certifiable, not certified. It just means my answers are from experience...not a book

Thanks pgliardo, I do a daily full backup on lto3 with backup exec. I do have MSSQL databases on the shares. Will the backup restore those to it's original state also or should i skip those and do a detach, copy, attach?

Drew I'll look into the file server mig toolkit.

SQL is another animal and you'd probably be better asking that in a SQL forum. In a nutshell, I would do the regular file share restores first. Then do SQL as a seperate activity. Do you back them up using the Symantec SQL Agent?

Yes I use the SQL agent. You've been great... thanks for your help!

Glad to help. Let me know what you decided on the SQL databases and how it went.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back