Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving server to a new domain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2002
US
I cam currently setting up a new domina for the organization. I am needing to move the exchange server over to this new domain. The machine is a NT4 box with EXCH 5.5. I tried moving it over this morning. The machine join the new domain quite nicely BUT once it came back up in the new domain i was unable to get into the exchange administrator. I got two different errors if anybody could help me on these i would greatly appreciate it.

Once i changed the server over i got this error once i got tried to open Exchange Administrator
ID no: DS_E_INSUFFICENT_ACCESS_RIGHTS

I changed all the account names and passwords on my services and i got this error.
ID no: DS_E_COMMUNICATIONS_PROBLEM

How many Exchange servers do you have? I am dealing with a similar issue here and I am working on it.

If anyone calls and says "I know a little something about computers" just tell them to reformat it.

An Exchange 5.5 server cannot be moved to a different domain. All permissions, including the Service Account, are based on accounts in the domain in which the server is built. In addition, the primary windows account for the mailboxes are on the original domain.

What you CAN do is join the server back to its original domain, then create a trust relationship between the two domains. Once the trust is established, build a new server in the new domain using the same service account as on the original server and joining the site that the original server is in.

Once this has been done, and you have both servers in the same site, you can use the Move Mailbox tool to move all the mailboxes to the new server. Public folders can also be re-homed to the new server. After everything has been moved to the new server, and has run well for several days, look up the process for removing the first server in a site
Once the first server (the original server in the old domain) has been removed, you can change the Service Account. Read this white paper to learn how:
Bear in mind that before you can break the trust relationship between the domains you will have to change the primary Windows account for each mailbox to the appropriate account on the new domain.

Good luck.

Thanks ill give this a try and hope everything goes well..

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back