Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Secondary in Server Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan714

IS-IT--Management
Jun 24, 2015
US
When we were originally installed with server edition, the vendor put both the Primary and the Secondary at our corporate location. We want to move the Secondary to our data center for DR. From what I've read it seems too simple...

I know we have the bandwidth for this, we have a 1GB EVPL connection to our data center.

It sounds like all I need to do is change the IP of the Secondary, shut it down, physically move it, and bring it back up. To anyone who has done this before, is it really this simple? These 2 boxes just need to be able to talk to each other right? They don't have to be on the same subnet or require any strange network specs right?

Thanks for taking the time to read/reply.

I would Involve your Vendor I this

In principle it should not b difficult but what sort of scenario do you expect it to operate as disaster recovery?

Loss of power @ main site?- how would the handsets stay operational even if they were configured to fall back to the DR switch.

Failure of primary server? what benefit is there to having it in a Data center as opposed to leaving it on site?

without full knowledge of the current setup & reasoning I am not able to give definitive advise (but this is exactly what your vendor SHOULD be able to do)

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

We have had terrible luck with vendors and Server Edition, the one we are using now has been the best so far but recently, they took down all of our sites because they brought up a box at a new location on 9.1 (we are on 9.0) and everything stopped working and we had a ton license errors. All because we had to do a dongle swap because they didn't do the licensing properly.

This forum has given me the most accurate answers in the 4 years I've been managing my company's telecom.

We plan to move over to SIP and have it come into our Corporate office and our data center. We plan to convert our PRIs to SIP over the next year or 2. We will eventually need to move to Select also because we will be close to that 32 node limit with Server Ed.

I cant argue with most of that other than to say dint be so quick to dispose of all your PRI's keep some for backup if nothing else
I also have to repeat the last statement form my original reply.

"without full knowledge of the current setup & reasoning I am not able to give definitive advise"

from you last post the is now even more necessary.

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

With many nodes I would remove secondary server from solution within Manager. That should remove all the lines between the nodes and secondary server as well as the backup voicemail configuration. Then move secondary and change IP and routes. Then add secondary to solution again. Manager should build new lines from all nodes to secondary and reconfigure voicemail fallback.

But I never did it before and you should involve someone who is familiar with IPO AND server edition to be able to react if things go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back