Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving SCSI RAID 5 Array to W2003 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwright

MIS
Apr 24, 2006
US
W2K server (DC) has RAID5 array; 4 drives + 1 Hot Swappable drive) and all is fine - data shares, rights, etc. no problems. The data is the user's "Public" share.

When moving the array to a new 2003 server, the RAID is seen in BIOS but in Drive Manager it shows as an "unallocated" basic logical drive; no data, shares, etc.

What's up with that? The only option is to change to dynamic drive.

The goal is to move the array to the new server (faster, updated OS, etc) and keep everything intact - data, shares, rights, etc.

Sorry to say but my understaing is that you can move the data over but you must redo the rights and permissions.

I found a MS article that shows how to keep the rights and shares (don't recall what it is at the moment) but there is a LOT of data on the drives so I was hoping to take the quick way out and just move it and have it be recognized.

I know W2003 has Dynamic drive ability but I did not want to convert it since I thought that it may wipe the data.

Thanks for your response, hopefully someone else has the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back