Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Roaming Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mousejock

MIS
Sep 30, 2008
CA
I am moving my roaming profiles from one RAID array to another, on a different server. At the same time I am using GP to add Admin access to the profiles when they are created.

What I did was change the profile path on all the users (I have about 65) thinking that when they logged in, it would find the path empty, use the cached version on their PC, and then at logoff, recreate the Profile Folder and copy the contents of the locally cached profile over.

This worked precisely that way for about 15 of the users... but not for the other 45... The other 45 had the directory created, but it is empty. In other words, it did not copy the contents of their cached folders over.

I am wanting these folders to be created fresh so that all the security privileges are created in a default manner... why is this working for only some of my users and not all??

To troubleshoot, I robocopied one of the profiles over to the new share... and the user in question still only used the cached copy... and did not update the profile at logoff.

Ideas?

You can never count on the cached copies loading up properly, you would quite often end up with users ending up with a fresh new profile. I would have moved the profiles and then fixed the permissions ... there are some VB scripts out and about which will do it.

With the profile you robocopied, check the PC event logs and see if there are any errors, commonly its an ownershp issue.

Thanks for the fast response!

So ok, I can go ahead and robocopy all the profiles over... and change the permissions.

The new folders basically show System, Administrator and the %username% as having full control. Should the Owner be the Username? Or System or Administrator?

The one I had trouble with, the Owner was set to the Username...

As a follow up... the workstation in question had no errors that I could find in any of the logs, relative to creating the profile... it just didn't work.

Just checked our folder d:\Profiles it's shared to the everyone , permissions is Admin / System , with the Domain Users Group having read/write/execute permissions and the owner is domain/administrator & admin group

hope that helps

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!

Thank you... very strange... about half the clients have now updated properly to the profiles folder... some of them took several days and logon/logoff cycles to move... while others moved right away... and some still haven't moved.

I am baffled... the rights seem ok (thanks 1DMF) and there is now access error in the client logs. Just seems to be a process the clients have to go through before they finally update the profile to the new share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back