Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Records 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddeemac

Programmer
Dec 28, 2000
US
I am creating an inventory database. I have two tables one is the InventoryTable, that stores the inventory and the other is DamagedTable, that stores all of the damaged items. If an item in the InventoryTable gets damaged in the long run I would like to be able to create a macro or something to move that record over to the DamageTable. Is that possible?

Why not have a check box or some other indicator to show that it's damaged? That way you don't have to have multiple tables, and you don't have to move records. Just use a query to extract the damaged ones for reports and such.

Well I want to have the ablility to have the item information pop up instead of haveing to thumb through all of the records and by doing that I would need two tables, Right?

Not at all! You would just create a query based on the table that limited the records it shows to those where the "damaged" indicator was True. Then open the query instead of the table. Or if you're using a form, there are a variety of ways to select, sort, and present subsets of information. These ways are available both to the Access user and to macros or code that you might write.

Moving data from one table to another the way you described is seldom the best solution to any problem, and loses all the benefits of a Relational Database Management System. Rick Sprague

Once I thought about what calian said, it began to make since. So I went back into my Access Inventory Database to manage the data through queries and that seem to have helped.

Thanks Calian and Rick for your help. Everything seems to be working out just fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back