Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving raw LV to another VG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 5, 2003
US
I have an Oracle Volume Group (prodvg) that is nearly full. Because of VG characteristics I could not add another drive to the VG, so I created a new one. (Prod2vg) How can I move LV's off of Prodvg onto the prod2vg? Is it relatively simple? I'm sure I'd have to shutdown Oracle...

DJ

For a raw LV, you'll probably have to use "dd" to copy it, and yes, it will be necessary to shutdown Oracle.

1) Create an LV on the new VG (it will have to be named different) of the exact same size.
2) Shutdown Oracle
3) dd if=/dev/rsourcelv of=/dev/rdestlv

dd takes a variety of flags for block size and count. You will probably want to experiment with these to determine which performs best for you.

* You *can* perform speed testing with this with Oracle up to determine a reasonable block size, just remember that the destination will be trash, until you do it with Oracle down.

4) Rename the original LV to a new name
5) Rename the new LV to the original's name

Now at this step, I *believe* Oracle should be fine. You have the ability to put the original LV in place if you need to, assuming Oracle doesn't mess itself up (which I have known it to do when using files instead of raws).

And as always, backup first! You can never have too many backups.

Wasn't aware of cplv - not used to AIX supporting cross-VG work =)

OP should use that first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back