Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving public folders between servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofSketch

Technical User
Oct 14, 2002
GB
Hiya Guys and Gals

I'm currently in the process of upgrading some of our servers and getting rid of some of the old ones,

One of the servers i'm getting rid of houses one departments public folders (within exchange 5.5) is there a way i can transfer the public folders off of this server and on to a new one (also running exchange 5.5)

Cheers in advance

Sketch[lightsaber]
"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"

Replicate them to the new server and then rehome them using the advancced tab on the folder.

If this is your public folder server, be sure to replicate and rehome the system folders as well.

There is a Q article on MS website for this exact thing. You are actually transferring roles from one server to another. I will look up the Q article now.....
In the meantime, you pretty much just click on each indiv folder and go to the Properties...change the home server to reflect the name of the new one, or rather the one you are transferring roles to. BE SURE YOU ALLOW ENOUGH TIME FOR REPLICATION. We did not and ended up losing all the data within the Pub folders. (We formatted the old machine)... The article # is, 152960
Don't for get about the sys folders - Schedule Free+Busy -- all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back