Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving part of the whole timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopchic

Technical User
Aug 26, 2002
US
There has GOT to be a way to do this. I am making a documentary for work that will be in several parts. I made the first part, a full seven minutes, only to realize that it would work better as the second part. But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to move the entire section (which begins after an introduction) down the timeline a few minutes, apart from doing it piece by piece and having to match up all my video and audio lines again, which will take hours. There's got to be a way to movie all lines of the timeline down at one time. Anyone?

Hopchic,

There are a couple ways to do what you're asking.

RANGE SELECT AND MOVE (Users Guide p. 192)
The most practical solution in your case is to choose "Range Select" tool. This tool is located in the Timeline immediately to the right of the standard Selection Tool (that looks like an arrow). The Range Select tool looks like a dashed box. If you see a different icon to the right of the arrow instead of the dashed box, place your cursor over that icon, click and hold it, (it will pop out to additional icons) then choose the one looking like a dashed box.

With the Range Select tool active, drag across all the clips you want to move. Then place your cursor somewhere inside the selection, then click and drag. This will allow you to move several clips at once (even beyond other clips located to the right or left of the suite you've chosen.)

CREATE A VIRTUAL CLIP (Users Guide p. 208)
This is probably not the solution you're looking for right now, but you may find it useful in some of your other projects. A "Virtural Clip" is a single clip that is actually a composite of several clips. What you can do is compile a series of clips - just the way you want them - then select them all with the "Block Select" tool. [The Block Select tool looks like the Range Select tool described above except it has two small boxes inside the dashed box). Once the Block Select tool is active, select all the clips you want by dragging over them, then place the cursor inside the middle of your selection and notice that the cursor changes shape to a double-arrow over two boxes. At this point click and drag to the right and find that a new "Virtual Clip" has been created.

I hope this was helpful to you. As always, reference your Users Guide for more information.
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back