Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving OS on IDE to SATA HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIO3

MIS
Nov 14, 2007
NG
Hello all,
I manage a HP Proliant ML100 server running win server 2003. The ML110 server has 4 SATA slots and an IDE slot on the board. Those who did the initail setup used a 40GB IDE HDD and now the HDD is running out of space.

I want to move the OS and all Applications running on the IDE HDD to a SATA HDD but could not. When I connect the SATA HDD, and point to the IDE HDD as first boot device, the server could not boot up but rather reports that "OS is missing"

How do I move the OS and all running applications on the IDE HDD to a SATA? (e.g by mirroring)

The approach I might be inclined to take would simply be to perform a full backup of the OS and files currently installed on the IDE drive.

Then remove that drive and install the SATA drive before installing base Windows and then performing a restore to bring the system back online.

Steve G (MCSE / MCSA:Messaging)

Thanks but I am worried about certain security rights on some files and applications...

Well you could try ghosting it. Make sure the SATA drivers are currently installed on the OS. Ghost it from the IDE to the SATA drive, you can resize the partions at this time also. Unplug the IDE drive, set the SATA drive to boot first. Should work, but even if it doesnt it wont break anything.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

partions=partitions

Wish we could edit posts.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back