Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Oracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrn

MIS
Apr 27, 2001
GB
Hi,

We have oracle 8.1.7 running on a IBM 6M1 4 DB's 2 Live + 2 Test. We have just bought a new 6H1 and I want to move the 2 Test DB's over to the new box. What's the best method to do this?

1. Could I just do a VG backup of all the Test stuff and put it onto the new box?

2. Would I be better install oracle on the new box, creating a starter DB, then use imp/exp.

Any ideas would be helpful

Regards --
| Mike Nixon
| Unix Admin
| ----------------------------

Are you keeping the same drive configuration on the new box?

If so then the simplest way would be to install Oracle on your new machine, copy over the database files, parameter file, control files etc... to their respective areas, then re-create the Oracle sid using ORADIM.

If you're moving the files around then you'll need to create a script to alter the database and run it prior to bringing the database up.

As you're a UNIX admin - I suggest you just use your backup to restore to the new system - if you have cold backups then just restart on the new server - if hot backups then follow your normal recovery steps. It's obviously easier if the filesystem layout is identical on both servers. As far as Oracle is concerned you can restore it from your backup or install it again - whichever you prefer

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back