Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving NT4 Users to 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOFH1

Technical User
Jan 3, 2004
GB
I'm looking for a way to move user accounts and home folders to another server while maintaining permissions is there a way, i have used x-copy before but it doesn't carry permissions.
If not is there a way to script permission replacement once i have moved the users to AD.

Also would it be wise to build a fresh NT BDC and then upgrade it to 2003 as a way of moving all users into AD or am i better off creating all the users by script on a fresh 2003 server?

Cheers.

Once you have Windows 2003 installed, seek out the Active Directory Migration Tool. ADMT.

See more here

As for the migration, I always have found it best to go for a clean new domain and create the users via scripts.

However there may be other considerations - Exchange for instance.

The key to a successful migration is a good naming systems, and a true understanding of DNS.

Guy Thomas

Scripting Ezine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back