Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving my .pst file in outlook 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

john434

MIS
Mar 17, 2004
GB
Hi,

this is probably very simple indeed. I've created a .pst file in outlook to store old messages and the like. I'd now like to move this file to a different directory, so i can access it in other locations.

I can't seem to find any way of doing this.

Thanks in advance for you help.

It's just a file - move it.

I'm not sure about different versions of Outlook but in 2007, Select File > Data File Management > Data Files tab > Settings to change where Outlook looks. I think if you right click the file in the folders list in any version you'll get a properties option that'll do the same.

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

Professional Office Developers Association

Hi,
Storing old messages is usually handled through an archive file.
But, if I understand you correctly, you want to move this .pst file so you can open Outlook at other locations and view your emails??
If this is true, then you must load the .pst file to Outlook using the File/Import Export command. Just having the .pst in another location doesn't automatically prompt Outlook to use it.
HTH,

Best,
Blue Horizon [2thumbsup]

if you do a search on your hard drive for the .pst file and just move it to the shared location, then within outlook and tools>accounts settings tell the client the new location of the data file

Thanks everyone.

I've now managed to move the file to a shared drive, using Tony's method.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back