Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Microsoft Terminal Server Licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

chjinmind

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2001
SE
Hi!

I just moved a Citrix MF server from a workgroup to a domain. Now I get the error that the terminal server licensing MUST be run on a domain controller.

How can I migrate this?

//Chris

I had the same problem. We solved it by making the Citrix server a domain controller as well b yinstalling Active Directory and making it a replica of our main Domain Controller's one.

However, I see this as a short term solution for us so we will put the Terminal Server licensing manager on our main Domain Controller at some point - I would be interested in other peoples comments on the advantages, disadvantages and problems that we are likely to come across.

Hi!

After several disussions with MS I came up with this conclusion about moving the server.

The licensing information on the former Terminal Services licensing server (Citrix application server, moved from workgroup to domain) is lost forever. The service is denied a start because it is not a domain controller, and it does not replicate the information to the new server.

However, the clients that had been granted and given a TS-CAL still has that information in it's registry, the client won't ask for another TS-CAL when connecting to a terminal server again.

The main issue here here is if the licensing server had several TS-CALs in the storage (not used) to be given to connecting clients. Those are gone according to Microsoft.

So basically, if this is your scenario, tell your story to Microsoft (clearing house) and ask them to reactivate the CALs you had installad on the former Terminal Services Licensing Server, or, if you are on a Select (or eqivalent) agreement, something might arranged there.

And, if you feel that you are in a mess with TS-CALs on wrong machines, look at this document about moving CALs between Windows client machines.

Happy Halloween!

//Chris

I had a similar problem and found the following hints:

If you can, when you first install your TS Licensing server, add all of the licenses to the server and back up the TS Licensing information and database on the server PRIOR to allowing anyone to be issued a CAL. You can then restore the completely clean TS Licensing database to a new server without calling MS. This only works with a Licensing database that has not issued a CAL yet. This obviously becomes useless as you add licensing or if you have already implemented your license server (as I had). However, going forward, it is good practice to implement an initial backup.

Perhaps this will proactively help someone, as once you need to know this, it is too late.

I did this same...although on accident (in to much of a hurry).

The first thing I tried was moving the Citrix server out of the domain and back into a workgroup, restarting the TS licensing and then deactivating the server. That all went well. But when I went to add license's to the new license server on the DC, I got error messages. So I had to call MS to activate the license again, and explain that I made a bonehead move, they didn't have any problems with it.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back