Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MOVING LUN

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpar

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2002
US
Good heavens! I have been on hold with Dell's "SAN" support now for 1 full hour. WOrse part is, the tech simply can not help me and I just can't start over. I bet someone out there can help:
I am running Dell SAN 3.0 on NT4.0 servers. My main (master)server is failing fast and needs to be rebuilt. Before I can rebuild it, I have to reassign the LUNS to a different box. All I need to know is what happens to my NT shares when I assign them to a different server? If I export the right registry key will they show up as shares on the new box?? I will redirect the mappings through a DNS alias. The LUNS are full of 200gb of critical file storage- all departmental and personal shares.
If there is anyone out there who knows the answer to this question- I'd trade any of my SAN knowledge since Dell no longer has any.

Thanks for listening.

I have no specific knowledge of Dell SAN, which by I assume you mean some form of Dell storage subsystem, but the question as I interpret it is what do you do when another NT server gets the LUNs. This is not Dell specific or even SAN specific. The same would happen if you had some disks directly attached to the server and then moved them to another server. A SAN just makes it easier.
Indeed, export the relevant registry keys and the shares will show up on the other server, provided you have moved the LUNs and assigned them the same drive letters.
/charles

See? A voice of reason. I would have come with this, perhaps, had I not been so hyped up on hold...Thank you, Charles.
By the way- the SAN doesn't really make it easier ;-)

Since I have your ear: is it true that if I was moving shares to a W2K non-domain controller I would not be able to export the necessary reg key?

In my opinion, having the SAN as opposed to a physical box of disks at least you don't have to do any screwdriver work moving the disks around. You can just use whatever management tool you use to manage the storage system.

As for the moving of shares, I really don't know. My sysadmin days ended before W2k was out.
/charles

In my opinion, having the SAN as opposed to a physical box of disks at least you don't have to do any screwdriver work moving the disks around. You can just use whatever management tool you use to manage the storage system.

As for the moving of shares, I really don't know. My sysadmin days ended before W2k was out.
/charles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back