Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

moving lotus notes from one pc to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

sslevy

Technical User
Aug 14, 2001
US
hi all,

i have a phone interview for a job tomorrow 4/11. i know i'll be tested on lotus notes. i haven';t supported it since version 4.5. I have been told by the recruiter that one of the questions is what 3 files do you need when you move the person email from one pc to another?

are they the notes id, the nsf file and the notes.ini file>?
can someone help me the with theanswer and also a if there is any place one can go online to brush up on their lotus notes support.

thanks,
shari

Hi Shari. Sounds about right to me. I know when I set up new computers that I definately need the id file along with the names.nsf file which stores the mail folders, addresses and so on. As for the notes.ini? That would be my next choice so I'd go with it.

Good luck on the interview

Kenny

Hello, you'll need the user's IDand NSF files and the desktop5.dsk file. So for me it would be wfoster.id, wfoster.nsf and desktop5.dsk.

will_cola@hotmail.com

thanks for the info....

this question wasn't asked of me on the phone interview...but it was at the interview the next day at the company...Thanks for the file names..it was right.Now lets just hope i get the job.

Thanks again...

Shari

Just for clarifaction, what exactly were the 3 files? kennyboy5 and WFoster agreed on the names.nsf and the user.id file, but was the 3rd one notes.ini or desktop5.dsk?

It was the desktop.dsk file...
gee it was the only question of lotus notes he asked...
well if i get this job..i'll have to buy a new lotus notes book to brush up...but they are moving to R6 when its ready..so....i'll just have to learn both...won't hurt..

thanks

Thanks sslevy and good luck to you ;]

Currently I've got a Lotus (5.0.8) Server sitting behind a firewall, with a Public IP. I want to setup NAT for the office and give the Lotus Server a static address for NAT. My question/concern is how to route the traffic via the NAT router to the Lotus port (1352) needed for replication purposes from my employees who replicate over the internet.
Has anyone dealt with this?
Thanks,
Skers

Currently I've got a Lotus (5.0.8) Server sitting behind a firewall, with a Public IP. I want to setup NAT for the office and give the Lotus Server a static address for NAT. My question/concern is how to route the traffic via the NAT router to the Lotus port (1352) needed for replication purposes from my employees who replicate over the internet.
Has anyone dealt with this?
Thanks,
Skers

The ones we move here are the desktop5.dsk for all their databases, names.nsf for their address book, and the id file. The easiest way is to set up Lotus Notes with their id file and havin sent themselves the desktop5.dsk and the names.nsf to their Lotus Notes mail then transferring them to another file shutting down Lotus Notes and then adding the files to the Notes\data directory as long as the files are not to large to send or use the network to transfer the files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back