Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving IPO Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bignose21

Programmer
Jul 4, 2003
GB
Just trying to get the steps straight and keep down time to a minimum. I have an IPO SE Solution with Primary/Secondary server at the main site (All trunking at the main site) and then several IP500v2 Gateways dotted about all on 11.1.2.0. I need to move the two servers to a different site and as part of that move they need to be renamed and new IP Addresses. I was figuring that the process would be:

[ul]
[li]Shutdown and move the Primary (IP sets on Secondary and SCN still through the Secondary to the Trunks that are all at the main site)[/li]
[li]Move the Primary to the new site and rename/IP the server using the web manager, and restart the server[/li]
[li]Establish SIP trunking on new Primary and run some outbound testing[/li]
[li]Update DHCP for IP Phones and restart the phones (We don't have that many so could use System Status or phones Web Access)[/li]
[li]Access each IP500v2 with Manager and run the Initial Config Utility (Check the Retain Existing Configuration) and enter the new Primary and new secondary details[/li]
[li]Cut over the inbound to SIP trunk to the Primary Server[/li]
[li]Shutdown the secondary, go pick it up and bring it to the new site[/li]
[li]On Primary Web Manager remove the secondary server from the solution[/li]
[li]Run the Initial Config Utility on the secondary Server (Retain Existing Config) set new Hostname and IP Address, and Primary server details[/li]
[/ul]

At some point I need to get the licenses re hosted on PLDS once the Host ID changes on the Primary Server WebLM, was thinking of two approaches as it will be done on a weekend, one would be leave in grace until the Monday to contact the partner and get the licenses moved to new Primary Host, or as we have a SMGR for Aura sites we could just re host them there prior to the move and leave them there (Release 8.1 soon to go to 10).

Is that a baremetal servers? You can use VM instance of IPO for moving.

EDIT. As host ID will be changed I assume it's a VM.

It is Avaya supplied servers, but when I change the Hostname and IP address of the Primary server the WebLM Host ID will change so I will need to do the PLDS bit.

I don't have any physical Avaya servers left in my customer patch - they've all moved to VMs over the years, but I thought that the host ID wouldn't change on Avaya supplied servers if the name/IP was changed. I'd have to look in the docs, but I think the host ID for physical servers is based off a hardware profile (MAC/HD/something like that).

The host ID definitely does change on virtual servers when changing names/IPs. Either way, you have 30 days to rehost the licenses.

Its Virtual I am used to so I will take a look as it will save me a job, other than that do the steps look right?

I have WebLM on Avaya server and it's HostID wasn't changed with new IP. As was said, it's bound to some HW number (MAC, or MB)

According other steps. My experience told me that whatever you plan (especially time-accurate) will try to go out of that plan. So I'd play with VM to simulate moving your sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back