Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving hard drives in 2 identical servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtoney

IS-IT--Management
Feb 17, 2003
US
Would this work?

If I have 2 identical servers from same company(motherboard, CPU, etc.) just application servers not DC's.

One of the computers has all the hard drives. If anything happens to the motherboard or CPU I pull the hard drives out and move it up to the other computer that has the same exact config( maybe a little less RAM and a slower processor)

Many thanks!

It won't be 100% plug and play, but you probably could make it work. For one thing, your NICs will have different Mac Addresses. You may need to re-add it to the domain.

Test it before you rely upon it.

Thanks anawrocki! I was also considering Legato software as well.

Try mirroring the drives and seeing if works...

I have actually done what you are talking about then we had the motherboard on an HP server with intergrated NICs swapped.

Windows is none the wiser that its MAC address has changed or that the motherboard is different and it is tollerant of minor CPU & RAM changes too.

It will work just fine but as anawroki said - maybe worth a test at some point just to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back