Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving hard drive to New System 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xplitiv

Technical User
Aug 9, 2001
US
I just built a new system and want to move my hard drive from over from my old system. I'm running Win 2K on an IBM GXP 75 drive. How can I get the drive to boot in the new system? I know I have to uninstall certain settings through the hardware wizard, but which ones? Thanks in advance.

If you're going to change a HD onto a different PC, you should remove all "Device Manager" settings. This will correct a PnP problem when you transefer the HD to the new PC. If you don't to this, Windows might keep all the Devices for the previous PC, rather than the new one. And, I don't think you'll have to remove any programs to make it boot on the new system. It all depends on what programs and services you have running. If you're running a DNS or something along those lines, then you can be in some problems.

Thanks very much for your response. I'll give it a shot and hope for the best. Worst case, I guess I go through the format and reinstall. Thanks again.

Hi Sheldon

I've attempted to follow your suggestion re removing all "Device Manager" settings, but I'm not sure I'm tackling this in the right way... Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Device Manager. By right-clicking on the actual device, one is offered an "uninstall" option. I've tried going through all these (not all of them will uninstall), but when booting up the hard drive on a different mobo I'm still faced with the "STOP.... inaccessible boot device" message.

I'm still using my old favourite, the plug-in PCI Promise controller, to move hard disks in W2K, but would appreciate any further comments or suggestions.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Remove and reinstall different devices its a process of elimination.

Thanks for your input. However, it would be much appreciated if you could kindly be more specific...

For example, there's little point in removing video or network devices, is there?

ROGER - GØAOZ.

No, you have to remove everything. Video and network devices are assigned resources like anything else, and if the settings are not removed, those devices will try and use the same resources on the new motherboard.
Plenty more on this issue has already been discussed, with lots of tips at
Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Hi Roger,
Just thought I'd put in my "two cents"... I would suggest that you back up the HDD (files you want to keep etc.) Then re-format and do a "clean install" of the OS and programs. The main problem with changing the drive to another system is that "detects" everything installed on the new motherboard (i.e. chipset, controllers etc.) and that becomes the problem. The system won't "allow" you to remove some of the settings, and others when removed will lock the system up. Take the time to format and re-install, you'll save a lot of time in the long run.

Terry

If you follow the thread in the link I posted above, you CAN remove all devices from device manager, and thus boot the machine with no hardware settings in the registry at all. Everything will be redetected and the correct drivers installed. I do this at least twice a day on customer's upgrade machines, and it works every time. No need for a format/reinstall. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Jim, I have obviously mislead you by quoting "W2K" in my previous post, when should have typed "W2K Pro". My apologies... I read the thread you posted, very interesting. However, there is obviously a huge difference between the two, i.e. no ENUM key in W2K PRO!

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Terry, appreciate your input on this one. Guess I've been confusing everyone by not quoting W2K PRO. Anyhow, makes no odds... I can STILL successfully move a W2K PRO HDD from one mobo/system to another using the Promise controller method, but I was just interested in how other folks managed it.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

No problem, Jim... It's just that me and the rest of the guys are all sitting here waiting for you and other wizards to post a bulletin about easily moving W2K PRO from one system to another!

Cheers! Have a good weekend.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back