Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving GWIA from a server to another 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWIA

MIS
Feb 14, 2002
FR
Hello,

I have 2 Netware servers in the same NDS, the first one is the mail server with groupwise 5.5 and the GWIA module it has 2 network controller and 2 IP adresses (one in the local network and one provided by my ISP for the smtp gateway), the second one is a border manager server and has also 2 IP adresses. I want to move the Gwia module to the border manager server and remove the public IP adresse of the groupwise server so that the only gateway is the border manager server.
Can somebody tell me if it is possible and how to proceed?

Thanx

Yes, you can do this.

My recommendation is to unload GWIA from the original server, and delete the object from NWadmin GroupWise view. (There might be another way, but I think this is the cleanest). Make sure you save a copy of the gwia.cfg file before deleteing. It is usually in the system directory, but it might be in the domain/wpgate/gwia directory. Sometimes both, check the Gwia.ncf file to be sure you have the right one. When you delete the gwia let it delete the entire directory.

Now do a new install of GWIA. Make sure the BM server has its own address in etc/hosts file, and that the etc/resolv.cfg file from the old server has matching entries in the BM server. It is a good idea to try to ping a name from the GWIA server to make sure it can resolve names. Load Ping and for host name put in it should resolve that name to an ip address and respond.

Lastly, you need to change (or have changed) the MX record for your domain. If you handle that internally thats easy, if you have it handled by the ISP, you will have to fill out a form.

Good luck.

Bruce

Thank you Bruce,

But I have another question : is there any problem to install GWIA in a different server than the Grouupwise Server?

I just went through this same scenario. I installed GWIA onto a different Server than our Primary GroupWise Domain. But, I was not as happy as I would have liked to be about it. I ended up moving it to our Primary Domain Server and its VERY happy!

If you are going to install GWIA onto a different Server than your Primary Domain, you should setup GWIA in a Secondary Domain. That way, the Primarty Domain will send to the Secondary Domain and transfer to the GWIA.

This is the way that Novell has recommended if you have to have GWIA on a different Server.

Good Luck!

Thanx Salserito,

But how do I install a secondary Domain on my new server and how do I configure it to receive from the primary domain and transfert to the GWIA? and do I have to create a new MTA on this new domain?

Use NWADMN32 to create the secondary domain on the new server. Then use the link configuration tool to connect the domains by TCP/IP, not UNC mapping. Finally (I think), change your addressing rule for internet messages to convert "*@*" to "domain2.gwia:*.*"

I've tried to create a secondary domain on the new server but it didn't work at all. First of all when I created a new domain in Nwadmin on the new server, then it automatically created a MTA for this domain and then I installed GWIA on this server but it didn't create the NDS object for this GWIA, so I created it manually with no result. Because when I load the MTA nlm on the new server it appears that there's no POA loaded. So do I have to create a new POA?

What should I install first: MTA, POA or GWIA?

Thanx salcerito,

Do I have to create a new post office or just a new POA linked to the old post office?

When you create a new Post Office, a POA is automatically created for you.

The Secondary Domain, PO and GWIA needs to be unique to your existing GroupWise environment. Everything is new and in addition to what you already have.

Good Luck!

You do NOT need to create a POA on the second server. All you need is the secondary domain (MTA) and link it to the primary. I'm not at work right now, but I believe that in GroupWise view in NWAdmin it will list it as secondary. You DO need the secondary. I've had no problems with my GWIA since I set up the secondary domain.

I forgot to say....When moving any of the GW agents (POA, MTA, GWIA, WebAccess), the recommended practice is to do a thorough removal of the old location and then install to the new location. I've been burned more than once by not doing the thorough removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back